1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow restoration 101...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Turf Commando, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

First, wire brushed plow to remove hard rust and flaking paint..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Than sanded the blade using my PC (Porter Cable) Disc sander with 40 grit followed by 80 washed and allowed to dry...

Primed .
    [​IMG]

Then painted ...
    [​IMG]

2. Turf Commando

More pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

4. Turf Commando

Thanks took alot of work....

5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

That looks pretty good. Couple of questions...What brand of plow is it (looks like a Western)? How did you paint it...brush, aerosol can, roller, power painter, etc...?

6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

looks good :drinkup: i think its a 7.6 western pro plow:D

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Looks good....i did that to my fathers plow a few years back! I had alot of fun doing it!ussmileyflag:drinkup:

8. Turf Commando

Like Nickplowing said it's Western pro...
    Used automotive paint in the can by dupli-color

9. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i just repainted my plow not to long ago. i used brush on paint though. rustoleum heavy rust primer and rustoleum gloss red enamel. came out really nice.

yours came our nice also.

10. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

spray paint will not work, i can assure you i have tried it, best way to do it with paint is an enamel and roll it on with a foam roller.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Really, how about a spray on enamel? We use to roll and brush everything but know, we spray everything with a good enamel primer and 2 top coats. Preperation is everything when painting, so the more time you spend, the better the outcome. JMO

12. Turf Commando

Paint sticks to primer, so I believe it will last ...By the way it wasn't just spray paint it was AUTOMOTIVE paint which is more durable..
    Like Dave said prep work assures outcome..

13. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

looks good, do you have any pics of the mount leaning against the wall? I have an older conventional plow on my 01 Ram, I want to re-engineer the mounting brackets into something like what you have, I hate having the motor / pump hanging on the front of my truck year round.
    Thanks
    Matt