1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow residential accounts for profit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tcdodge5000, Nov 9, 2010.

1. tcdodge5000

tcdodge5000 Junior Member

I am a lanscape contractor who is considering plowing residential accounts like driveways and sidewalks. But with the recession hovering I am wondering if it is a good idea to do so. My idea would be to plow homes and price them by the job and by priority with a half and half payment structure for spur of the moment customers, and retainers for prescheduled customers base on priority with credit and cash payments up front. what are your thoughts on this kind of service?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I plow resi for profit.

So you want to charge more for a 6:30 plowing than a 7:30 plowing?
  3. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

My rule of thumb with plowing has always been to keep things as routine as possible. Tight routes, seasonal contracts, and keeping all residentals on the same schedule and expectations helps us a lot. Plowing is tough enough, my advice is to try not to complicate it. Good luck
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

why would you plow and not make a profit?????
    we charge per push amd it is the same amount each time
  5. Division

Division Member

When plowing residentials, set up a route from where your starting ie your shop etc.... Dont make priority pricing, unless someone specifically wants to be done a certain time. If that be the case then try and schedule them in the route so it fits for you. Have 2 prices one for small drives and one for big drives. Keep it simple. plowing is hard enough!
  6. z_scapes

z_scapes Junior Member

Set your prices for a small drive and for a big drive and go with it, no priority on the customers part. you need to plan your route according to whats convienient and not whos willing to pay more. This works for resi, not so much for comm.
  7. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

I agree with the point a few others have said. Don't do priority pricing, then you will be running back and forth and in turn be making less then you would if you just priced them for how long it will take you at each house.
  8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

You starting this for this winter ?