1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Repair

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by spslandscaping, Sep 9, 2015.

1. spslandscaping

spslandscaping Junior Member

Hey, so this is the first time I am freshening up a plow and have some questions.

Plow- Wetern MVP Pro Plus 8.5

Attached are photos of the current state its in. Works perfect, just needs repainted.

How have you done it? I purchased the western roll on paint from a local shop, who said using a metal wheel grind all the rust off, blow it, dust it paint it. Now, the wheels dont take off any existing paint, just the rust itself, so do you paint right over the existing paint?

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Need to get off all the rust and try to see how far it spread. Usually rust spreads farther then just that spot.
    I'm.pretty sure the wheels WILL take off the paint. If it'll remove rust it'll remove paint/powder coat. Also need to "scuff up" any surface before paint

3. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

if you want it to last, I would get it sandblasted, then epoxy primer and then at least 3 coats of single stage polyurethane.. Other option is sandblast and powdercoat

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I've never heard of powder coat ? Is it good stuff ?:dizzy:

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Western claims it's a tuff baked on finish.
    We were pealing it off after 2-3 years

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yup...

I would make the assumption that a large majority of "large manufacturers" who do powdercoating process in their producing of product, take the "easy route" for prepping the material to be coated.

I know of a national door company that does nothing but a "chemical wash" to their steel before powder coating it. It doesn't last very long.

OTOH, the local shop I use sandblasts every piece after chemical cleaning, ensuring good "bite" the the metal, and then powder coats it. It's a much better result.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Pay some one to sand blast it. Did one myself with a sand blaster I got from tractor supply. Never again. Wipe it down with laquer thinner before you paint it. Don't be in a hurry. Prime it then paint with good quality paint.