1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow repaint

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by lumps, Oct 27, 2008.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

So, I bought the plow for a really good price, but it obviously needed a little TLC. Finally got it painted up this week. I used a quart of Tractor Supply Co's tractor and implement paint (Massey Ferg red). It has a good finish, and from what I hear it's pretty long lasting. We shall see.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

2. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I used that same paint on an old Northman plow I had yrs back. Plow was blue and rust, mostly rust:dizzy: had the plow two yrs with that paint seemed to hold up well good luck! anything looks better doesn't it?! Looks good, hope you get enough snow to wear the paint off again!

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

That thing looks as though it's brand new, what did you use to strip the rust ??

4. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Scraped the old paint off with a putty blade, then used a wire brush and sandpaper on the rust. It was just surface rust mostly, so wasn't too bad.

5. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Just bought that same paint for mine
    Wire wheeled the blade with a 5’’ grinder
    Wiped it down with paint thinner
    And rolled it on with 4’’ wide ¾ nap paint roller
    Went on thick

6. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I sprayed mine on... be interesting to see how it compares to brushing. And yeah, it's definitely thick paint, I thinned mine out before I used it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Holy that turned out better than mine! Looks really good.

8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Nice job and hope you make some good money this year.payup

9. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Looks great, How long did it take.

10. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Thanks guys. And I only spent a day on it. The back isn't quite as pretty, didn't spend as much time as I could have with prep work.

11. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Yeah i repainted my old plow a couple a years ago and spent way to much time on it just to sell it the following year. now i make sure i fix all the little stuff as soon as i can before it gets out of control.

12. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

hey lumps did you get the old converson kit or the newer one for your dodge ?

13. lumps

lumps Senior Member

It actually came off an identical truck, so I didn't need to buy anything. It's a Unimount plow, with an Ultramount truck side mount, and a Western adapter plate in between. It's nice 'cause I can run any plow they make on the truck.

14. TLB

TLB Senior Member

good looking repaint;)