1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow refurbishing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikeitu7, Nov 30, 2010.

1. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Anyone know who blasts and paints plows for a reasonable price around the Chicago area. I called someone today but I thought the price was pretty steep $800, what do all of you think? I know I will not get to it pretty soon, so might as well get it done before it starts snowing.
    Thanks

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I paid $1000 to blast and powdercoat in CT. You get what you pay for...

3. Kavu

Kavu Member

I got a quote for sandblast/paint for around $700-800. Ended up getting it powder coated and sandblasted for $300.

4. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Would be a road trip for me. I had seen that a member in Michigan also does it around $300-$500. I'll just have to keep shopping, or wait till I have a little bit more free time.

5. fourthcoastcont

fourthcoastcont Junior Member

If you had spent a bit more for the ss plow you wouldn't have to sand blast and paint anything

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Even on a stainless plow the frame work is still mild steel, so it still has a chance to start rusting if you don't stay on top of it. I took a 9 foot western straight blade, and a 8 foot rear plow with all brackets for both plows to a company about 45 minutes east of here and had them blasted and powder coated this fall for a total price of 478.74. It took them a couple weeks to work me in, but I had time so I went with them. The next closest place that had an oven big enough wanted 100.00 dollars per foot for the mold boards only.

7. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I just had one done. I paid $125 for the blasting and $140 for the powder coating.

8. Jay51

Jay51 Junior Member

Kavu, where in RI did you get your plow powder coated?

9. Kavu

Kavu Member

I had mine done at Bell's Powder Coating in North Attleboro, MA. The plow came out great...

http://www.bellspowdercoating.com/

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

For that kind of money, I'd rent one of those diesel air compressors for a day with the sandblaster attachment and do it myself....

I was quoted $1000 for a Boss V, but I had to tear it down myself, transport it, and paint it. They would only blast it for a grand. No thanks. If it took them more than an hour with that big equipment the operator needs a slap...! And I'm not paying $1k/hr!!!

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I got three blades done this year. 1 9.2 Boss V cost 350.00 dollars, 1 9ft Western Uni-Mount and all the brackets costs 225.00 dollars, and 1 8ft rear plow with all the brackets cost 235.00 dollars. That was with me completly tearing them down, transporting them to the shop, then they sandblasted, and powder coated them, then I went back picked it all up brought it home and reassembled them. So I have 835.00 dollars in all 3 of them.

12. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I rebuilt mine last fall 2009. Welded supports & new metal near the bottom to brace it, sandblasted here & there to get rid of rust, had some stainless panels rolled to match the curve & then I welded them in place, & primed & brush painted to complete. Feels much better to take it out in public now lol
    The brown primer has been painted red & looks good- a bonus is the snow really files off the stainless panels

096.jpg

097.jpg

239.jpg

242.jpg

264.jpg

13. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

lets see a picture of it all painted

14. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Are those holes for wings?
    I've never seen wings on a V.