1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow refurb advice?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BostonRamGuy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Hi there folks! Could use some help with my plow refurb plan. Once it warms up, going to have it blasted and I'll repaint, however there are a few holes on the blade. Most the size of a dime or quarter. I clearly want to fill the holes before I repaint, I'm thinking of either just filling them with Bondo after being blasted or buying a cheap Harbor Freight Flux Welder and filling or patching them with molten metal. Which way should I go? (Also hitting it with rust killer in between) Thanks!:yow!:
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bondo is not going to last more than an hour on a plow.
  3. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Haha well that answers that, looks like I'm gonna learn to weld! Thanks for the help!
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, welding will do you good.
  5. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Just have a metal shop bend you a piece of metal to curve the bottom inch or two and weld it .
  6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You can use bondo to smooth the surface, if you're really meticulous about having everything *look* perfectly clean and smooth, but you definitely can't use it for anything structural.

In other words, you would have to weld it first, and then bondo it.

And frankly, just make it solid and slap a coat of paint on it. I wouldn't mess with bondo.
  7. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Get all the rust and then some. Any welding will burn right thru and you will get frustrated constantly making the hole bigger. Sounds like you need to patch with new metal rather than try to fill in with the welder.
  8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

^^ that is true. But I don't think anyone was actually suggesting to just try to weld holes full of weld.

Also, make sure to use the right kind of welder for the job. Try patching a plow with an A/C arc welder, and the only thing you'll accomplish is making yourself insane. In the hands of anyone who isn't *REALLY* proficient with one, those things will just blast straight through plow skin like it isn't even there. A flux core wire feed or MIG with a thin wire and low current makes plow skin patching fairly easy, even for an amateur welder.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As suggested patch them. Find good metal and make the patch big enough to cover the entire area. If you have holes now once you blast it down to raw steel I think you will find MUCH more damage. After you patch and paint add a poly skin will make it slide a lot better.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A poly skin because a patch is going to inhibit the flow of snow,,,,,, is,,,,, unnecessary.
    Some times ya just have to take a step back from the noway.
    Not everything needs a poly skin.

And skip the bondo, it's going to pop off, and as soon as a rock goes by it'll gouge it.

Clean up the rust, weld in a patch, grind it or leave it,
    prime and paint, it's a working plow, not a show car.
  11. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

OMG What a perfect fit! Get some of the POR 15 fiberglass mesh patch! Then, slap some POR 15 on it. Paint. Let all dry. Can hit it with a hammer, no problem. Good luck.