1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow recommendation

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by plowsite108, Jan 10, 2011.

1. plowsite108

plowsite108 Junior Member
    from WV

I'm not a commercial plower - work at a new retreat facility with about 3,000 ft. of private road in WV and we have a 2000 Ford F250 superduty truck. We'll have to plow 5-10 times a year just our private road - wondering what type of plow would be recommended? Don't want to overdue it, but don't want to get something that's not up to the job. Also if anyone would recommend a sander for this size job. Thanks.

2. somervillelawn

somervillelawn Member

I would recommend getting a Boss 7.5 Super Duty. It's a heavy plow and can take a beating and last a long time. Your going to have to make a few passes on the road "most likely" regardless of your plow size so I would save some money and just go with the 7.5

I'm partcial to boss, but there are many other good plow companies out there as well. Check around and see who has good dealer support in your area, that is a very important.

3. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

The first thing I would do is find out what dealers you have in your area.... I wouldn't buy a plow if I had to order a part and wait for it to come in the mail everytime I needed something.....

4. elecblu

elecblu Member

I would try to find a good used BOSS 8'2" V. If you are not in a hurry to find one, a good deal is out there. A 5 or 6 year old BOSS plow would serve your needs for several years, with likely only minor maintenance throughout the time. With the new VXT blades, someone is bound to upgrade and want to sell their standard V, saving you a grand or two.

5. elecblu

elecblu Member

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

V plows are great, but overkill for your needs. get an 8 foot straight blade. i'm partial to western, but western, boss, or fisher are the popular brands that i would consider. there is bound to be a dealer in your area that sells one of those manufacturers.

if you need a plow now, you are going to pay peak prices. if you can wait to the spring, there are bound to be better deals. this is true whether you decide to go new or used.

7. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

sno ex alo makes some good tailgate spreaders that can save you a few bucks,

8. plowsite108

from WV

Thanks all for the plow advice. Might hold out til spring for a better deal as someone suggested - we still have contractors working construction here who can plow this winter. But a spreader would be useful now. I was looking at a Salt Dogg 8 cu foot tailgate spreader. Two questions - 1. Is it practical to use on our private road which is actually around a mile long - dealers I talked to didn't really know what distance one load would cover. 2. We have a lot of rock dust around from the utilities work going on - any idea if we could use rock dust in one of these salt spreaders? Thanks.

9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I like my salt dogg spreader but I had to modify it with a screen to keep out larger size chunks. I do run bulk sand/salt through mine so I think you will be fine with rock dust.

From my reading, the average spread rate for salt is 500 lbs per lane mile (12 ft wide X 1 mile). Depending on the width of you private road, you should be fine with the salt dogg tailgate spreader. I have found the capacity of mine to be right around 700 lbs.

Angelos has the best prices on spreaders. http://www.angelos-supplies.com/snowicesupplies/tabid/63/List/1/CategoryID/6365/Level/a/Default.aspx?SortField=EAN,EAN

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get at least an 8 1/2' plow

11. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I would keep it simple and go with a 7.5' or 8' straight blade. I like Western plows with the Ultra mount due to the ease to attach and detach plow on the truck! I would check into what dealers you have in your area and who seems to be the best to deal with and make my decision based on what they carry and recommend.

12. plowsite108

from WV

Thanks for the advice - got a sander from Angelos