1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Recommendation for North Idaho

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KiloBravo, Sep 9, 2015.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Junior Member

Hello all,
    I am looking for a plow recommendation for a particular scenario- Truck is a 2005 F-350 4x4 Diesel Crew Cab Long Bed SRW.

I am not looking to plow commercially, but I have at least 1 mile of driveway that I will need to plow before I reach a county maintained road. My property is in the Northern Idaho mountains, and snow accumulations here are a crap shoot, some seasons we get hit hard, others not so much.

I'm simply looking for an affordable setup to keep my road clear in the winter.
    Local dealer quoted $6300 installed for a Meyer 8'6" blade setup- told me that a less expensive model would be in danger of being destroyed by the power/weight of my truck. OK, I get that, but are there more affordable brands out there that would be able to get the job done?

Searching on the Intardweb gives lots of choices, but no prices...

I appreciate all the pros out there willing to weigh in on this. Thanks!

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

What dealers are close to you? Do you know which ones give the best support? I can understand wanting to get the best price, but "the best price isn't always necessarily the best price" if you know what I mean. If you get a good price on the plow initially, but the service at the dealer you bought it from sucks, then the price wasn't so good, right? That was my situation. I bought a 9'-6" Snowdogg V blade (plow has been excellent for me so far with some hard commercial work thrown at it), but the dealer that I bought it from absolutely sucks, and they're about two hours from me. So now I end up taking my plow to a Boss dealer for servicing.

That part aside, 6,300 bucks for an eight and a half foot blade sounds steep to me, especially if that's for a straight blade. If you're in the mountains as you said, I'd have a V blade for sure. I'm partial to my brand (Snowdogg), because I got a 9'-6" stainless V blade for 5,500 bucks installed and it's worked flawlessly. But all of the brands are good brands. They all have their advantages and drawbacks, but there really aren't any "bad" brands out there anymore.

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Buy used look on Craig's list or here
    for best local dealer buy type that they sell and service
    Used should be $3000 ish fir a straight blade

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd get a V-Plow either a Boss or a Western, I would imagine you'd have to go to Coeur d'Alene for dealer support.
    I have friends in Sandpoint and if you're close to it it's beautiful country.