1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Recommendation for F-350

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tjaltz, Jul 6, 2002.

1. tjaltz

tjaltz Junior Member

I have a 2001 Ford F-350 Diesel Super Cab Short bed that does not have a factory snow plow package. I need a plow for very limited plowing of my own driveway and property, no commercial plowing. I have looked at The Boss Plow with "smart hitch", a Western Ultra Mount, and Fisher Minute Mount. They are all within a couple hundred dollars of one another. I am only looking for a straight blade, and would not be traveling much with the plow on the truck, I would only put it on when I needed to plow. I would appreciate any recommendations or advice on which is the best plow setup for my needs. If I only plow ocassionaly and wont travel much with the plow, do I need to upgrade the front springs? Thanks in advance for your help, it's appreciated.
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Any of those plows should serve you well. I believe the Western will be lightest, but I prefer a trip edge type plow over a full trip. If you stay true to your intentions of limited use, your springs should hold up as well. You can get load boosters for about $125 if you're still concerned with overloading.

I believe the Super Cab shortie is the same wheelbase as the regular cab 8' bed so you should have plenty of capacity in your front end in stock form.

Bottom line... choose whichever plow is easiest to get parts for or has the best dealer support in your area, when things break, you need them fixed FAST!
  3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm just wondering where in new york you are located. I have a friend in Pelham (Westchester County) who installs plows. Not sure where you are located, but i thought i'd tell you that.

Like Pelican said, find a dealer where you can get parts, or have your plow fixed when it breaks.

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

well, i dont think you want to get a fisher. there expensive and your only doing it for your drive-way. etc. i think a western or meyer plow would be good. i dont like meyer much. id get the western. they will last a while and are very dependable. glad to help.
  5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

First off, Welcome to the site!:drinkup:

First thing I would suggest is to install a set of "X" code front springs. Even if you weren't going to plow, I would recommend them. They are the springs that come on a SD with a plow package and are also the stock springs for a 450 and 550. They will give you about 1.5" of lift in the front, which will level out the truck, plus the ride is improved tremendously. It is slightly firmmer, but the truck will no longer "dive" when cornering. They are available from your local Ford dealer.

Next, what ever plow you buy, get at least an 8 footer. These trucks are very wide. I have a long bed SC, and with my 8.5, the rear wheels will still be outside the plow path on a sharp corner.

Good luck, and get ready to push some snow:D You won't believe how much a PSD can push:eek:

6. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I love Fisher, and I always reccomend it, but I have been looking at the sno-way Lexan see-through plows, and they are more resedential and cheaper than the heavy-duty commercial Fisher plow. The DPW here had them for a while on their super duty trucks. Love the F-350!
  7. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I would get a western straight blade. Because u have a 350 u will not need any additional support in the front. I have a western v plow on my F350 and it sits fine on the truck. The v plow weighs more then the straight balde so it should work well. I would also recommend getting the pistol had grip for the controler... It makes it a little easier. I dont think its necessary to have the snow plow package if your just doing a few drives for yourself .. but i would reccomend it if you were doing alot of plowing
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

In terms of your springs, I would make sure you have the front spring code X. They are what go on trucks with plow prep package from that year. They would be an added benefit without the plow anyway because of the extra weight of the PSD. As far as plow, you won't be using it much, so you shouldn't really have many problems with it breaking down. But I would choose based on dealer support and location.