1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow recommendation for '94 Toyota P/U

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by skitrek, Nov 7, 2015.

1. skitrek

skitrek Junior Member

I am researching options for putting a plow on my 94 toy 4x4 manual p/u. It seems many manufacturers have either discontinued making plows for trucks smaller than 1/2 ton or aren't making mounts for this vehicle. I am chasing down a lead on a blizzard 22 series plow. Snow way claims compatibility back to 95 Toyotas. Does anyone have suggestions/recommendations/advice? Thanks!
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Start looking on eBay and Craig's.
  3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

With a bit of customization, everything is possible.

One of the problems with a lot of the newer "smaller" trucks, is that they lack the frame structure to support a plow.

Toyota is top of the list when it comes to getting new plows, since they haven't compromised structure like others (GM in particular) have. A current Tacoma is well suited for plowing, and most major plow manufacturers have kits for them.

But the problem that YOU will be facing isn't even so much the size of the truck, but the age. Who is going to keep making parts for a truck that old in an area where you can expect that most of that particular model of truck has long since rotted away?

In any case, here are a couple of options for you (from the same manufacturer):

These are "universal" with "some welding required" plow receivers. The first one is a "standard duty", the second one is a "light duty". If there is enough space under your truck to fit the standard, it is preferable to the light. The difference is just the height of the receiver, and either way, you can fit a light or standard duty plow. The standard and light duty A-frames can all bolt up to any standard or light duty blade.

Basically, the "light" receiver is 3 inches closer to the ground, so can sometimes hit taller curbs.

Note: light duty plows are available in 78 and 84 inch. Standard in 84 and 90 inch. The standard plow is a bit taller than the light, so if you can fit a standard height receiver and want 84, you just go with a complete standard-84 kit. If you want a 78 though, then you need the light blade with the standard a-frame. If you have to use a light-height receiver and want a 78, you just go with a straight light-78 kit. If you end up having to go light-receiver and want 84 plow, I suggest the standard blade, which means light a-frame. The difference in the a-frame is at the mounting tabs at the back.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I own the exact truck you're speaking of.

Western made their unimount system for that truck, and they do come up on CL from time to time. I've often thought of putting it on there, but then I'd have to think about my 22 year old ball joints, and other suspension parts there as well, being taxed by a 400 lb plow in the front of my old ride.

Unimounts are plentiful. You'd want the 6-6 for your truck. Parts are available for it. The mounting brackets come up on EBAY from time to time. You can make your own relay system for them they're so simple.

Since I bought this truck NEW I'm just not wanting to put all the stress on a really clean truck.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The ball joints on that yoda are the easiest to replace I have ever come across

You can do all four in a hr with hand tools and a 2x4"""
    Just the torsion bast a couple of turns,
    If it wount turn don't force it.
    If you snap it it will send the bold threw the floor board..;)

Yes I, would have put a plow on my 95 4Runner if I hade needed.;)
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Mine are still good, but thanks for the tips..

BTW, you do sound like you're on cold medicine after all...;)