1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow recomendation for a 00' F150?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NDdude, Dec 5, 2005.

1. NDdude

NDdude Junior Member

I'm looking at putting a plow on my 00' full size F150 4x4 (off road) with the 5.4 v8. I would say 75% of the work I would be doing would be on 2-3 stall residental driveways and the rest on smaller commercial lots. I plan on having the torsion bars turned up and stiffer springs/leveling kit or some other sort of supplemental front suspension to handle the weight of the plow.

Plows that I'm looking at:
    Blizzard 760sw
    Blizzard 860sw
    Boss 8' poly power v
    Boss 8' steel power v

Which do you guys think would be the best for my rig? Also, would it be possible to run the Blizzard 810? or would that be just way to much plow for my truck? Thanks! :drinkup:
  2. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

Those V's you are looking at are just too big for your 150 new springs or not. That truck isnt made for any plow let alone a V but will handle a lighter plow as long as you are reasonable with it. Have you looked into the Snow Way plows? They sound like a good deal for the smaller 150s. Im sure it would handle a meyer or western and maybe the fisher RD but you will be over the axle rating. What is the front axle rating on that particular truck?Good luck with whatever you do.
  3. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I have an 03 F150 5.4 FX4 with a 7.6 Snow-Way and I love it.:gunsfiring:
  4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Good advice guys! :nod: I'd say get yourself some OEM size tires too.;)
  5. NDdude

NDdude Junior Member

I take it your one that thinks plowing with a half ton truck is a waste? IIRC OEM size on a 00' F150 was 275 70 17's, I'm running a 295 85 17 BF at/ko ;)

I know when you look at the numbers nothing works out, but I have seen many guys in this area running around with boss steel v plows on their half tons and I know for a fact of someone with a 98' F150 full size with the V6 running a steel boss v. How do they get away with it?!

I've looked at airbag suspension systems, the type where the bags are placed inside the coil, these claim to have up to 1000 lbs of capacity to the suspension all being adjusted by a couple switches in the cab. Performance wise I know the truck could handle pushing the plow and staying cool, so far I have done: full exhaust (headers, high flow cats, high flow mufflers), throttle body, TB spacer and intake, power chipped and a dual high flow fan kit. The truck also came with tranny fuild and oil coolers when I bought it.
  6. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

Those are great mods to have BUT its not that easy to make a 1/2 ton truck into a 1 ton truck. You still have a 1/2 ton frame, axles, and front end componants. I guess my question is how long do you want them to last? You can mount a steel V to that truck real easy but along with the amount of weight its going to take to counterbalance a 900+ lb plow, you are going to kill her fast. I would plow a lot with it this season because it may not be driveable next season. If I was putting a plow on that truck I might go as far as the fisher RD but your best bet is probably with something lighter. Look at the Fisher LD. They come in much lighter, or the snow way that is made lighter also. Keep us posted as to what you end up doing and send us some pictures once you get a plow mounted.
  7. MBB

MBB Senior Member

150 00 plow

You did not say witch cab you have, front axel rated about 3600 max if you have any of the streched or 4 door cabs best choice is 7.5 snoway MT or I think the new # is 26. in any of the other lines you have to stay with the light duty plows. If it is a reg. cab you might be abel to get away with a standard 7.5 plow with a light weight mold board ( if the mold board is 10 or 11 gage it will be to heavy). The front suspension in all the f150 96.5>03 are very light duty. Before 96 and after 04 the front suspension is totaly different, I know that in the 05 f150 you can get a HD version. In the 97-03 what you might be seeing are Light duty F250. I have a 99 f150 supecab off road 4x4. When I got it it new there was nothing available plow wise that would not exceed the axel weight, so I also have a 1 ton, F350 99 HD V10 I still had to beef the front up to handel my 810 Blizzard ( course this is a 1000 lbs plow). Recently set up F150 with a Snoway MT, works good.

Love white gold but hate it when the iron breaks down.
  8. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Yup:nod: I used to plow with a 1/2 ton. '94 dodge 318, w/shorty headers & dual exhaust, 3/4 ton springs up front, extra leafs in back, tranny cooler, 7.5 meyers up front, Airflow tailgate spreader in back. In 3 years time I replaced all forward drive train components. Also replaced the headers (salt loved them). I'm just saying that plowing isn't always about power, sometimes it's more about technique. If you always power through the snow, you're gonna spend a lot of time in the shop.;)
  9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Get a 7'6"......brand is your perogative. There is no way your putting a V-plow or a 810 on that thing. :nono: