1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow reccomendation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by omsk, Dec 19, 2002.

1. omsk

omsk Junior Member

I have a 2001 Ford F350 Superduty Crewcab Dually. It has an 8' bed, 4WD, Automatic, and the Powerstroke Diesel. I am considering installing a plow since I have a friend who is a contractor who would hire the truck for commercial work.
    I am seeking reccomendations for what size, type, and manufacturer of plow to use.
    I am considering something along the lines of a Western 9' edge trip unit. I am not interested in a "V" blade due to cost and weight. I think the edge trip blades are more productive and less abusive to the truck than full trip blades. And I think that with the DRW I need/can use the larger 9' blade.
    What do you all think!!!!

2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Go with a Blizzard 810.

Carries 25% more snow than a vee, and 50% more than a conventional straight blade.

That would be my choice.
  3. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Blizzard 810, I would never go back to a straight blade again EVER. I have one on a 2001 f-250 srw and it saves incredible time and cleans nice.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Gregg, Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

I also have the Blizzard 810, it's a great plow and will save you a bunch of time; but since it doesn't fit your criteria, I've got a couple other suggestions.

You should have at least a 9' blade on your truck, I had a F-350 dump that originally came with an 8', first thing I did was swap it to a 9.

I've run both the full moldboard trip and the trip edge style plows, and I've got to disagree with your theory, I feel the full trip blades transfer less shock to the truck, from my experiences. That being said, I still prefer the trip edge design over full trip, but for the reason of efficiency, not shock transfer. The trip edge handles heavy wet snow much better than a moldboard trip, which will often fold over and not scrape clean when encountering these conditions. The moldboard trip requires multiple passes, which cuts down on efficiency. The Blizzard, while being a moldboard trip, has enough tension in the trip mechanism to prevent this from happening.

I've had Diamond plows that I got very good service from, and they are of the trip edge design. But, they are very heavy, a 9' assembly weighs 1000 pounds. Fisher and Boss make trip edge plows as well, I wasn't aware that Western had one available.

Probably most important is what you can get locally, and which plow parts are readily available. You haven't said what your intentions are, but this is very important if you are considering commercial plowing. Your customers will not be concerned that you are broken down, they'll still want their snow cleared. A shop that can get you up and running quickly is very important.

Do a "Search" on crewcabs, there have been a few discussions on the concerns of weight. You can also check out this thread for a comparison of your truck vs. the F-550.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2002
  5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Western doesn't make a trip edge plow. Check out Diamond pr Fisher, you can get a 9' trip edge plow from either one. Also Boss offers a trip edge plow. However I have not seen alot of the Boss trip edge plows in use, they look tough but maybe not as tough as a Diamond or Fisher.
  6. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

If the dealer support is threre, I would have looked at the Blizzard as well.

I just purchased a Western 8'6" MVP with the Ultramount. I have only used it for one storm and some clean up. I have about 30 hours on it and I have had no problems.
  7. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

the western mvp is a trip edge plow.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Gregg,as im sure you know yor truck isnt rated for plowing.Id run a least 1500 lbs of ballast at the rear of the bed,maybe sand bags or a weight bar.You are also looking to buy a heavy plow.Keep those front tires aired up to max PSi they are rated for,and get the front end checked often. I have a Boss 9'2" V on my Ram 2500,its about the widest plow your going to get without going to the 810 Blizzard.It is almost 1000 lbs .The plow is fast,and works well.I wouldnt buy another though.Id get the blizzard 810 if i had to do it over.
  9. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

I know a guy who just removed a 9' meyers off of the same exact truck. It would bolt right on yours. he is in NJ if you are interested PM me and I'll give you his phone #.
  10. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

Go with the Blizzard 810. Without question

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

another vote for the blizzard 810.
  12. KenP

KenP Senior Member

The Western MVP is a Fisher, no? In my opinion, and we all know what they say about them. The MVP or V-plow is the way to go, I've read that they are 20% more efficent than the str8 blade. I put a 8.5' Western MVP on my 2002 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. The truck handles it NO PROBLEM and I was amazed at how much time I was able to save. It really made a difference especially during cleanup. I plow mostly commerical jobs i.e. CVS, WAWA, 1st Union and the likes. I was really impressed after plowing for years withthe str8 blade, I will admit it gave me a serious case of red ass the first lot or two, there is a slight learning curve. After 29.5 hours I wouldn't consider another type of plow,(other than a pusher). In fact if I have to replace any of my plows I'll be doing so with the V type. From what I've been reading the new poly type of cutting edges might ease up on some of the shock caused by those buggers in the roads.
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While the western MVP and Fisher EZV are made at the same factory, they are not identical, more like cousins.
    IMO the western is superior to the fisher.
    However if I was buying a straight plow, and the blizzard wasnt an option, the fisher X blade would be my plow of choice.
  14. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

First WELCOME:waving:

Ok, a couple things:

Western does not make a 9' straight blade edge trip plow. All of their straight blades from the SUV to the Heavyduty are full trip plows

When you start looking at 9' commercial grade plows, a V plow will be very close in wieght and cost(sometimes less in both cases). You can, in some cases, get more $/hr with a truck w/ a V also.

A 9'6" Western MVP would be great on your truck IMO. I run a 8'6" MVP on my SRW Superduty and will never go back to a straight plow again. A 9'6" only wieghs 150 lbs more than the 8'6" and mine handles that with ease.

A 9'6" MVP is only $700 more than a 9' Uni Pro and $200 less than a 9' Heavyduty(which wieghs 1277 lbs by the way:eek: )