1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow randomly falls

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TwoBrosLawn, Nov 9, 2011.

1. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

I had the pump fluid, filter and canister changed at the end of last year, this is when the problem started, when the plow is lifted up it will randomly fall to the ground, but not all the time. I was told by the repair company that the plug is the issue. im determined its the pump. any help is appreciated. its a 9' pro plus ultramount.:help:

2. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I wouldn't think it is the pump. The pump only creates hydraulic pressure to raise/angle the pump. If it is dropping, then something is causing a release of pressure. The pump only operates when the motor is running, and the motor doesn't run when you are lowering the plow.

That is about all the knowledge I can impart on this topic, hope it makes sense, and someone else can help more than me.

kevlars

3. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Thanks, so maybe it is the plug not having good contact from truck to plow...

4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Sounds more logical to me. I put a repair harness on my old Unimount, when I was having issues. Mine wouldn't drop, but, just would get no action at all. Mine was actually the pins right in the plug.

kevlars

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it slowly leak down or does it drop like your pressed the button? It makes a difference to receive the proper diagnosis.

6. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Drop like i pushed the button

7. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Yeah, I would say it is in the plug or harness. So, while you are driving the solenoid probably thinks it should open and relieve pressure because it is loses connection caused by faulty harness or plug.

Let us know what you find out.

kevlars

8. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Will do thanks

9. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

The 2-way valve needs to be replaced!

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:confused::confused::confused: Explain please??

11. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Yes explain and how positive are you its that and not the plug

12. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

That's typically the cause of the condition being described. The "seat" in the valve has likely softened which prevents it from holding the fluid in place. When the fluid is allowed to bypass, the plow can drop.

13. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Yes explain and how positive are you its that and not the plug

14. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

Hmm i will have that checked. Is it a easy fix

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I find it's the controller (hand helds especially) or the harness/grill plug 100% of the time. Since the Insta-act's inception I've not once seen the valve cause an instant drop. Only a slow leakdown, thus the reason I asked which it's suffering from.

Easy way to test for a faulty controller is to raise the plow and then disconnect the controller.

16. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sigh. sigh.

17. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

What should or should not happen when u raise the plow and disconnect the controller

18. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When you raise the plow and then release the button the plow should stay up. If you disconnect the controller you wll eliminate or verify the controller as the problem. If the plow doesn't drop with the controller out of the system you probably need a controller but if it still drops the controller is OK, look further. You could also take the valve cover off and disconnect one of the wires from the S1 valve coil. (Top right coil on an isarmatic) This will narrow the problem down to electrical or hydraulic. If the plow drops even with one of the wires off then you have a failing check valve in S1 and need a new valve cartraige (not likely in my opinion because check valve don't randomely open, they just don't close causing immediate leak down / drop)

I suspect you have some sort of short curcuit that is causing power to be applied to the white / yellow wire that goes to the S1 valve. All three coils have a common ground so it has to be on the white / yellow positive wire somewhere between the coil on the plow and the controller. Check all the pins at the grill plug and the control harness right up to the controller. I suspect the controller is failing if it is old.

If you don't have an isarmatic then give us the plow model and we can give you wire colors that apply.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011