1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow raises slowly

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by CK82, Nov 13, 2007.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I have a 8.6 Western Uni Mount plow, it has been raising much slower than my new Ultra Mount. It goes down quick and from side to side quick, but not while raising it. I dont run many accesories, just a small becon light sometimes. Do you think I need a dual batter set-up? Or is something else possibly the cause. I believe the hydro pressure/level should be fine.

Chris

2. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thats what happened to mine but the reason was that I needed a new battery. Mine did the same and then died, my battery was going out anyways. Just watch your guage and if it stalls its the battery. Mike

3. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I've replaced the battery once already, last season, its still raises slowly. I'm wondering if the battery just doesnt get enough charge since I have a 7.4ltr. engine which doesnt have to raise up the rpm's much to push any amount of snow?? I just want to make sure this is the problem and isnt related to the actual plow motor and what not? Come crunch time having things break down as a result of fixing the wrong problem is not good. Any other information or suggestions based on experience would help!

Chris

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it slow from the very first use, or does it seem to get slow/slower the more you use it?

Usually if it a battery problem it will be ok the first few times you raise it and then slow down.

A bad motor or poor connection will usually be consistently slow from the first time you lift it.

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Ouch, That hurts.....:cry:

6. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I will definitely have to check that, I believe it is slow consistantly. Running two batteries seems more difficult that it seems, I have no clue where under the hood the second battery would fit. Anyone know off hand by experience know the dual battery setup would go??

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then it's probably a worn motor or weak pump problem or a clogged/dirty filter.
    The second battery would go on the driver side right behind the core support..you can get the bolt in tray at your GM dealer..

8. bypassmod

bypassmod Junior Member

western unimount raises slowly

my unimount plow raises slowly also, with both my 3/16 side plates on it only gets 3" off the ground. i also have a back drag on the plow so it it heavyer. it has always been slow going up, side to side is fast. but now i just made the side plates and it won't lift. i checked the pump dissassembled it looks good not wobled out or scratched, filter clean. checked pressure in right angle it was 1500psi. loosened up ram nut no differance. checked solinoids magnetic all ok but the #2 seemed slightly less strong switched feilds sill less. checked qill seemed ajusted right, no going down to fast.took valves out o rings look good, tested on bench with jumper pack #3 and #4 u could see move but #2 clicked but could not see move :help:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The S2 valve is your lower valve, and it's normal not to be able to see it move as they hardly do..and as long as the plow lowers fine then the valve/coil are ok.

I'm not surprised it won't lift with the extra weight you've added, and the pump pressure that low..

Reset the pump pressure to 1850psi (which is the Western spec for the Uni's). If you find that it won't make 1850 psi, then either the pump is weak or the motor is weak. A weak motor will also cause it to raise slow even if the pump pressure is good....

10. bypassmod

bypassmod Junior Member

fixed plow that raised slow

i fixed the plow today, but thanks for the post. theres supost to be a o-ring under the pump it was missing, i owned the plow for 3 uears now i didn't loose it. i installed a new one and turned the pressudr up a little, then checked pressure is now 1900psi and the plow works great no problems. spec. is it takes about 200psi to turn plow and 1400psi to lift a bare plow and i only had 1500psi trying to lift plow with a back drag

i hope this helps other people mine works great a big headache gonewesport

11. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I wish I knew where to begin on my Uni-mount. I do not know much about the pump and motor, if I took it apart I wouldn't know what to look for. I really want to avoid a few hundred or more in repairs on this one, I'm sure the dealer will get me for diagnosis and probably unecessary parts. My new ultra mount raises at least twice as fast! Do you suggest taking it in? I know I really have no other option, unless I am given some information on all of this.

Chris

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to hear it's a fixed up and working good! You'd be amazed how much 300psi of additional pump pressure will make on a heavy blade plow...

With the O-ring completely gone under the pump, I'm surprised it even made 1500!

13. bypassmod

bypassmod Junior Member

i think you have a bad pump, there $140.00 here new. but to check it correctly you need a 2500 psi gauge i bought one at northern tool and had to make my own fitting because it looks like a 1/8 pipe thread but it is not. it is metric. i would start there, because it sounds like the motor works fine. one one other thing make sure the ground on the pump is good take it apart and clean even if it looks good, make sure you do this at the battery to.

14. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Sounds good, I wills start with that, the plow is probably at least 5 years old, is in good shape but I'm sure doing this would only help. Thank you