1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Raises but now it won't go down!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by moosey, Dec 13, 2005.

1. moosey

moosey Senior Member

Had everything working in truck and decided to hookup plow. Conventional cable controlled. Got plow on and raised, tried to lower it and nothing. I remembered that is the valve on back of pump you screw in, to allow for it to lower. It looked like an allen head but tried all the allen wrenches I had and nothing. Is it a allen head to it. And any ideas. Right now the plow won't do anything. No up or down. I'm tried of working on this and it seems to be easier then the solenoid contolled units. :confused:

2. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Try removing the side cover on the valve body and make sure the full range of motion is there when you drop the controller arm to the float position. You can pull the cable clear of the valve arm and manually try it to see if it drops, but make darn sure that you and everything else are clear of the blade. If the packing nut is too tight on the ram, it can cause problems as well. If this is a western they have owners' and service manuals that are worth their weight in gold--but are free to download.

3. moosey

moosey Senior Member

I did use the western site for help on this and it showed the adjustment on the back of pump. But that is an idea(valve cover) I did think of but didnt try yet. thanks