1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rrob1399, Dec 6, 2006.

1. rrob1399

rrob1399 Junior Member

is it normal for a plow to be moved by hand left or right when off the ground? i have a 6 foot meyer and it holds an angle but not sure if its supposed to move by hand left or right when off the ground with the control in the center?

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

nope

how much does it actually move? most plows will like wobble but u shouldnt be able to move it completly from one side to the other.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it only moves a couple of inches, it's normal. All the mounting pins and the piviot pins and bolts get a little wear in them after a couple of years of use.If it moves alot then either the angle cylinders and hoses have a little air in them (will work itself out on its own) or your center piviot bolt hole in the front of the A-frame is worn out and needs repaired.

4. rrob1399

rrob1399 Junior Member

its like i can move the left and right arms in or out like 3 inches either way i know about the normal giggle from the pins but this is the actuall arms themselves like i said it still holds an angle

5. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Sounds like it likely needs a cross over relief valve replacement. This sytem allows the pressure to relieve if you hit something while angled and plowing so you dont blow a line if it is worn out it will move by hand out of the angle position and needs to be replaced.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you can see the cylinders moving in and out then it's got air in the system.Should work it out by itself. Be sure and check your fluid level too.

7. rrob1399

rrob1399 Junior Member

well it stays in the angle position the problem is when its straight when its angled i cant move at all either way when its straight i can move it left or right 3''

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it's still air in the system if you can actually see the cylinders extend and collapse when your moving it by hand.Do you have any fluid leak's anywhere? If the fluid can get out then air can get in.Also,did you actually check your center pivot bolt hole for wear? Because the plow will "wiggle" on that bolt of the holes wore out.

9. rrob1399

rrob1399 Junior Member

yeah you can tell the center bolt is worn it looks like the guy before me replaced the bolt with a new one with some washers it looks like it was a temporery fix how can i get the air out or can it be from low fluid levell? its got fluid on the pump but it looks like spillage from filling it i just bought some fluid so ill check the level then?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

One way to help get any air out of the angle cylinders is to park the truck on an incline so that the rear of the cylinders (were the hoses attach) are higher that the front,then lift the blade so it's just off the ground.Then angle the plow back and forth a few time's.This will help purge and air out of the cylinder's.Since you said it look's like the center pivot bolt has been repaired I'd check into that a little closer to see if the bolt hole is worn. If the bolt hole is allowed to wear too much It'll wear right out through the front of the nose plate and the blade and sector can fall right off the end of the A-frame!