1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by newguy7, Feb 6, 2014.

1. newguy7

newguy7 Junior Member
    from MiDwEst

I am a student/small business owner, very new to the snow removal game so please take it easy i have a large parking lot and driveway and snow has just been unforgiving i figured id learn how to plow i dont have alot of money to spend.. I have been given a plow identical to this one http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/4293699767.html what steps do i have to take to mount this to 2006 f350 2wd, i have access to a machine shop and welder if that gives any more info.i will just be plowing on flat ground. thanks in advance
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Your putting a 10' heavy plow on a 2wd f350 ? Might be a tad heavy. Might wanna rethink that
  3. NThill93

NThill93 Member

youre going to hate plowing with 2wd
  4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I know I read it all the time " I plow in 2 wheel drive " ............
    Save yourself the headache of getting stuck in the pile at 2am, get 4x4 first then start plowing. Unless you have someone plowing with you that can pull you out all the time.
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

2wd will need lots of weight in the back, both for traction and counter balance for the plow....I would think 1000#s....
  6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Don't even try, that plow is too big for even a 4x4 super duty
  7. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Hey maybe he doesn't have a 10ft highway plow and he just assumes that all yellow plows are pretty much the same? lol
  8. myzx6

myzx6 Member

2wd isn't a problem as long as you have a loaded vbox spreader in the back. Make sure you only take on accounts that are flat as possible. Onto your questions seemings how nobody else bothered to answer. You will need to get a mount. Is the plow a Meyer like the post or a fisher both are yellow and both have different mounts, also is the plow you have just a blade and a frame?? If so you'll need the headgear for it too. Also needed is a wiring harness. Is your plow full hydro, electric over hydro, makes a big difference what needs to be done setting it up. I'm thinking you are way over your head on this and most important nothing about plowing is cheap, parts wear out much faster. Best bet would be to buy an old rust bucket that already has a plow for cheap money. As for learning to plow there's a lot more then just pushing snow to learn, try to sub for someone for atleast a season to get the basic fundamentals
  9. dieselss

I chose not to answer the questions b/c
    That plow should not be on that truck
    I'm not even sure there is a mount for that trk b/c its a heavy plow, not intended for a "light" duty trk
    It is a Meyer plow in the picture
    Until there's more info I feel all the answers are relevant buy that's my .02
  10. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Do you have a Plan B????
  11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Of course he does. Our tax dollars pay for it now, remember?

12. newguy7

newguy7 Junior Member
    from MiDwEst

I have a 1995 f800 we use to haul trash but it sits high can a plow be mounted to it
  13. dieselss

Yes it can. Might have to modify the head gear to sit lower. But it can be done
  14. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

for 1500-2k you can find a plow that will bolt on your truck and not overwork it...... keep looking and good luck