1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by woodsman, Oct 18, 2010.

1. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I have a 96 f150 with a 7.6' western plow, my question is how tight should the chain be when the blade is on the ground?, should there be some slack in the chain? thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Yes, slack in the chain when fully on the ground is normal. This is what gives you float.

3. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thanks man. Its only my 2nd season with a western

4. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

No problem.

5. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Actually it should not be loose, chain should be tight. Drop the plow and put it into float mode, and press the ram all the way down. Give yourself like 4 links of chain loose. Raise the plow, and drop again, now you should have a few inches of ram showing and this is what allows it to float. As the plow needs to drop the ram will continue to depress allowing it to "float".

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thanks i will set it up that way.

7. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Fawk. My bad. Been a bit since I've tooled with a chain lift but you are correct.

8. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Hey no problem i appreciate you trying to helping out, some folks these days will not give the time of day...

Thanks again, Jim