1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow question - new thread

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgeguy77, Jul 25, 2011.

1. dodgeguy77

dodgeguy77 Junior Member
    from 02351

i have a 2006 dodge 2500, i'm looking to get a plow set-up on it, any advice on which brand and model i should get. i will be doing driveways, streets, and small parking lots.

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Fisher Xblade

3. highmark923

highmark923 Member

Western Pro Contractor grade.

I would do a search on the forum which will turn up tons of results for this type of question.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll second the Xblade. I had an 8' X Blade for last season and it threw snow and scraped very well. Was a very efficient plow compared to the Fisher HD I had before.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Any manufacturer's blade will work for you. As a one man band you need dealer support, at least until you learn the basic maintenance and repair procedures. You need to find what units receive the best service in your area. It does you no good to buy the hotest new Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby (apologies to Tom Wolfe) if there is not good dealer support in your area.

Check what most of the pros in your area are carrying. Talk to some other plow guys, ask who has 24/7 storm service, stocks inventory, and can keep you operating when you need it. Even if it isn't your first choice in plows (because its; not what your Grandmom had, green, cable lift, whatever) good support is more important then matching color schemes or Granny rolling over in her grave.

Be careful with used plows, they are out there and can be a good deal. They can also have issues including, needing $1200/1500 worth of parts to fit your truck, unavailable mounts, poor maintenance leading to unreliability and/or costly parts and rebuilds.

6. dodgeguy77

dodgeguy77 Junior Member
    from 02351

i was told that a 7 1/2 foot snowdogg HD plow would be a good fit for my truck. does anyone have any experience with that specific brand/model or something similar to it?

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

After you pick a plow,what are you going to use for a backup plan?