1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow question ? 60k vs 120k

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ernest, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ernest

ernest Member

I'm looking at some trucks and would like some opinions. What do u think would be better -
    a 5 to 6 year old truck with 50 to 60k on it that is a plow truck or one w/ 100+k on it that is a mix of highway & city driving & about 10 - 12 years old and never plowed.
  2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would say a truck with less miles, that hasn't plowed. However if money is an issue I would go with an older truck. I am in the process of buying a 1995 Ford with 120,000+ miles on it but a new tranny. I couldn't afford anything newer or less mileage so i went with this. My first truck i bought had 92,000 on it. It never had a plow i put it on. I would rather buy a truck with out the plow and put one on your self ( if the money is there) A truck with 60,000 miles on it with a plow is like having a truck with 90,000 miles with out.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I bought an old plow truck. It got the name " The Big Red Drain " about a month after I bought it. Old plow truck can have many problems that the first owner never fixed. For the first year I had it, many parts were replaced. Many parts rust out long before they normally do on other non-plow trucks. All systems are stressed on plow trucks above and beyond normal daily driver trucks.
    High miles on a non-plow truck is not a kiss of death for it. If you can wrench it only takes parts and time to keep it in service.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would say the older truck with out the plow....here is an example why, i have a 2000 ford f550 with only 30k miles on it and the oil pan is flakeing away with rust and the whole undercarriage is rusted more than you can imagine... vs my 1993 with 100+k (never had a plow) miles and it looked brand new last year whenever i bought it.
  5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

ditto i agree . you dunno what its past is unless you know the owner and how he or she drove it and took care of it
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Plow trucks are rode hard and put away wet, it's a fact of life. There are just so many little things that go wrong with an old plow truck that if you can't wrench and diagnose problems your at the mercy of a repair shop. I would much rather build up a great used truck into a plow truck. Doing almost constant repair / adjustments on an old tired plow truck can wear you down after a while. And it's still an old plow truck
  7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i bought an older truck with high miles 135K and it has never worked a day in its life. its in better shape than a plowtruck with 80K miles that i drove once. so i say older truck with higher miles if it hasnt been worked.