1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow purchase need help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mouth, Aug 31, 2012.

1. mouth

mouth Junior Member
    from Maine

Ok I am wondering if some people out there who have experince with the snow dogg could give me some impute and advise.

I am looking at buying a plow for my truck, it is a 2006 Ford F150 5.4L extended cab with a 6.5 foot box, with tow and plow prep package.

I am thinking about either a Fisher HD 7.5 foot or a Snow Dogg VMD

I have used Fisher and diamond plows since I could see over the steering wheel.

I have no experience at all with Snow Dogg, I was wondering there quality and reliability vs cost, I have not priced the WMD yet, wanted to get some info to see if it was worth exploring,

I will be plowing my own drive way and 3 or 4 other off and on, If everything works out for next year I hope to have either a 1 ton or 3/4 ton and be doing this full time, depends on the job situation. Any help would be great
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fisher) well known, lots of service centers available in maine (everybody in Maine sells fisher parts) large selection of used units to chose from, long proven history

Snowdawg) can be bought cheap
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You may want to opt for the SD version. I met a guy with an f150 and his snowdog really made the front end sag. Personally I don't like the snowdog because they seem cheap but ice never used one. Look into some front end upgrades as well. Good luck and happy plowing
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fisher recommends the SD for that truck (06 F150 SB short bed)

SnowDawg does not recommend the VMD
  5. mouth

mouth Junior Member
    from Maine

1) I know that Fisher recommends the SD, I understand that and the differences between the

2) Snow Dogg does list the VMD as a recommended plow as my truck has the higher GMVW

But what I am wondering is, does anyone have the VMD or experience with it? Is it made of good quality? any major design flaws or any common problems

If you do have one are you happy with the purchase? would you buy another one, and if not why?

and as far as parts and service there is a dealer in my area that started carrying snow dogg

Thanks for your help
  6. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

they had 2 snowdogs where i used to work at and what i thought about them was the truck mounts were absolutely pathetic, thin and not enough reinforcement/bracing. the mounting system wasnt bad but i got the feeling that after the truck had a few seasons and rusted a little bit the plow might start to get harder and harder to install. the deflectors are some cheap thin brittle hard plastic that cracks if you look at it wrong. as far as the plowside goes i was pretty impressed its beastly. i would lean towards the fisher if i were you
  7. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

In my fleet we have a 97 Tahoe with a MD75. It's great. The deflectors have been updated due to the issues. Look for what is the closest dealer support in your area. I love our dogg. If not abused the MD will move a lot of snow. Good luck!
  8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Basher is spot on in his 1st post, buy what is fully supported locally. When I say fully supported I mean; a great inventory of parts, competent employees/techs and offers on call service/parts during events. This will be a very help full thing when you have an issue during non business hours including weekends/holidays and you will. Just do some research in your area, talk to some guys in the industry and find out who they use. Remember just because someone is a dealer doesn't mean they're a "full service" dealer.
    Also I won't advise straying from what the manufacture recommends for your truck. They've engineered their product to work within the parameters of the vehicle it's intended for. Sure you can hang a heavier or bigger blade on your truck and it'll probably be fine for a while, but after time/use your truck will eventually be in need of costly repair.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Service, service, service
  10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're plowing you're truck is going to need costly repair anyhow. Buy what's available at the best price with the best support.