1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow pump used for a dump box

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rugbyplowguy, Mar 16, 2011.

1. rugbyplowguy

rugbyplowguy Junior Member

I am considering converting my '73 K2500 to a dump box. Has anyone used the pump/motor from there plow to power a dump box on the truck? I have an older western with the cable controls, and thought it would be easy to run hydraulic lines to the fittings for the tilt cylinders, and use the existing controller to raise/lower the box. I have found that the pressure is somewhere between 1500, and 2200 psi for Western plows, but I have not been able to find the flow anywhere.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I expect you will have a problem with the reservoir capacity. It will have enough pressure and the volume is not critical, you may have to wait a bit but if you are even concidering this saving money must be the goal, not speed. Here in Canada we have a store called Princess Auto where you can buy a pump / reservoir / valve body for exactly this application and it only costs about $100 Cdn. This would be much easier to install than modifying a plow, they even come with a remote up / down switch box that you can take out and hold in your hand while you watch you load exit.

3. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

princess price for that set up would be about 1000 not 100.

4. mishnick

Not sure what model you are looking at DRP but I wasn't quoting a price for the full size dump body pump, I was thinking something with equal pressure and volume to the plow pump. Its just a small electric unit with a white plastic reservoir, 12 volt electric. They are far from $1K

5. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Well don't think I have seen that one but one capable of actually raising a dump box with reliability will cost.

6. mishnick

Well you are right that they are not only $100, more in the range of $300 to $600 depending on pressure and displacement. At our shop we build what we call Crysteel dump bodys. They are designed for 1 ton trucks, usually for landscapers etc. These units come with this same type of pump assembly but they are quite expensive so owners often go to princess auto and buy these cheap replacement units and have us rig them in rather than to pay the big bucks for the original setup.

Here is a photo of the $300 unit, notice the little orange box on the end of the cable. That is the remote up / down control which is quite handy to take out to the back with you when you are dumping.

Attached Files:

7. 502monte

502monte Junior Member

mishnick do you have the part number for that unit? looked on the website but could not find it.
    Thanks

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

You could do it if you wanted to add an auxiliary reservoir. You might need to add a reservoir anyway-do the calculation on internal volume of the hydraulic cylinder. For reference, a 3.5" bore by 24" stroke is 1 gallon.

I've built 3 of these setups before on different vehicles-and I have found a few things. If you want to keep the stock bed, it will be difficult to get it to drop using gravity, especially during the cold. I find it is worth the extra money to get a power up/down setup. This would also simplify the size of the reservoir.

Also, from a leverage perspective, if you are not going to use a scissor lift (I've done 3 with straight pushes)-it is much more effective, faster, and more powerful to install the cylinder so that it mounts on the truck frame toward the rear of the vehicle, and mounts on the bed toward the front. Most setups on trailers, etc work the other way, for whatever reason. Some have seen the light-but a cylinder pushing forward will give you a lot more dumping force. I can take some pictures and post up some diagrams of what I've done if you want help in that arena.

For reference-my truck (8.5' flat bed), will dump a full load (1 cord) of green, split oak, at approximately 5000 pounds with a 3.5"x24" cylinder.

9. mishnick

10. 502monte

502monte Junior Member

Thanks mishnick for the link.