1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Pump Rebuilds

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Lawn Enforcer, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I have a Meyer E47 pump on my plow, worked well last year after I took it into the shop and had it rebuilt. Now with winter approaching, I plan on bringing it in to have it looked over, but should it need another full rebuild after just one season? How often does everyone rebuild their pumps?
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would suggest just a fluid and filters change. I used my E47 for 6 years before rebuilding and it was used when I got it.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A lot depends on the quality of the rebuild and the age/condition of the pump. Older units appreciate having the tanks pulled and sumps cleaned yearly. If the unit is operationg properly, hiolding pressure and not leaking a rebuild kit isn't necessary just three nylon washers and maybe a tank o-ring if damaged. Rusty or pitted lift pistons and older poor condition rams will leave packing deposits that effect the operation of the pump particularly if they have had poor maintenance in the past.
  4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I had it rebuilt at a very reputable dealer last fall, and had no problems all year with it. I only had it freeze up once but I'm sure that had something to do with it being -10 out. Thanks!
  5. Citysnowplowman

Citysnowplowman Junior Member

Reputable pump-rebuild company

Can anyone recommend New York Tool Repair to rebuild Meyer E47 pumps? I'm looking for a reputable company in the Hudson Valley New York area that has good recommendations to rebuild my pump. New York Tool Repair advertises from that region but doesn't offer testamonials on their web site. Thanks for recommendations.
  6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Not in NY but in PA

Ship to Chuck Smith @ Smith Brothers, he's located in PA. very honest and knows these pumps inside and out, blind folded with both hands behind his back! lol

He has probably rebuilt 50 Meyers pumps for me over the past few years and never had one go bad! Quality work from a Quality dealer
  7. Citysnowplowman

Citysnowplowman Junior Member

Pump repair

Thanks, Nascar24. Since my enquiry on this forum I've had a very bad experience with Walter Ford who owns New York Tool Repair. If I ever get my pump back I'll find some other repair shop.
  8. gforman

gforman Junior Member
    from NY

try Burquip in Bedford Hills NY.