1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow pump heater

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Holland, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They suck a lot of Amperage and are a poor substitute for regular maintenance and the proper fluids.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not to mention they eliminate the breather. Continuous maintenance and the correct fluid are the key.

4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I was wondering about the breather. Its never a good idea to omit one. We had a tractor of ours have a breather in the rear end plug up very shortly after we bought it. It literally shoved oil into all the sensors and into the wiring. luckily it was under warranty. I'm kind of a maintenance freak when it comes to my stuff. Growing up as a farmer, you learn to take care of what you got. I just like being overprepared and thought this heater might be a little more reassurance. Just out of curiosity, how often do you guys change your oil. i did it twice last season with meyer oil. really didnt have any problems. Thanks!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the system is sealed good (no pitted rams) and you're using good fluid and changing the fluid in the rams as well, once a year will generally suffice under most conditions. Then a pump tear down in order to do a through clean out every few years will ensure it's about as reliable as it can be.