1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow pump fluid replacement

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cward05, Oct 7, 2004.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hello everyone, I just had one last question (I promise!!)...this time about how to replace the ATF in my plow pump. I have an older style fisher with belt driven hydraulics and the plow pump is in the engine compartement (I have an 83 chevy k10 pickup). How do I go about changing the ATF in it? Do I have to just flip it upside down and drain it through the cover, or disconnect the hoses, or is there a plug or some other way to do it? Also, will I have to use an air compressor or something to get the air out of the system or is it a straightforward empty/ refill change? Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help I've gotten as I am new at this.

P.S. Is it ok if I change the fluid now, or should I wait until it gets closer to the plow season?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Remove an angle piston hose and operate that piston till it runs dry. Remove the rest of the piston hoses and drain. Remove the rest from resevoir with turkey baster. Refill and bleed each piston at hose end. Then refill again. I hope I have made this clear for you.