1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow pump atf fluid ?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sweetk30, Nov 25, 2006.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

should i run std atf or synthetic in my old belt drive system. its all open and empty now and ready to be filled and flushed for the season. it can get to 0 or colder at times around hear. i am running a big filter off a old ford deisel that was the fuel filter. it has a new filter on it. and i figure this will be better than the little dinky one fisher sells.

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I run the blue Fisher EZ-Flow Hydraulic fluid in all of my stuff. It really is a lot better flowing in cold conditions, unlike ATF. Also, a good synthetic ATF will work pretty good.

3. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

The blue fluid I got said not for use in those style pumps because of the low flash point. But maybe they make one for them. I always used ATF because that was what the dealer told me to use.

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We run atf.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i know to use atf. i was looking for pros and cons to std atf and synthetic atf. keep the coments coming tho. thanks.

6. Brookside

Brookside Member

I've been using ATF ever since buying my first NEW plow in the '80's, a Western, because the Fishers were sold out. The manual said to use ATF. Next plow, a Fisher MM1 had the same motor/pump, so I use ATF in that one, and also in our MM2. A couple years ago the temps were colder while plowing some of the storms and the motors were working harder, pulling down the battery, making groaning noises sometimes. I switched to Mobil synthetic ATF. I don't think it gets as thick in cold temps as regular ATF.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  7. Antnee77

from RI

I would seriously run Fisher's EZ-Flow in any electric over hydraulic setup. It's about $18 a gallon, but you're only changing it once a year, and a gallon will cover 2 fluid changes.

8. Brookside

Brookside Member

If the Fisher fluid is $18. a gallon, that's cheaper than using the Mobil synthetic ATF, at $6. a quart ($6.X4=$24./gal) at the local discount auto parts store.

9. Antnee77

from RI

That's what I paid the other day, $18 for a gallon. I have seen it anywhere from $15 to $26. I have used regular ATF, Syn. ATF, the old Fisher hydraulic fluid, and now the EZ-Flow and I'll tell you, this stuff is absoultely the smoothest of them all, especially in cold weather. But what would you be doing using a plow in cold weather, anyways? :p

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We run the synthetic in everything. I used to run ATF in the belt drive but have switched to ATF only because I buy it for all the other plows.

DO NOT run the Fisher fluid in the Belt drives.

You really don't need to worry about freese up with the belt drives, the synthetic does seem to be a bit more efficient.

11. Antnee77

from RI

Yeah, that's true, especially with the reservoir being out of the snow and inside a hot engine compartment.

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

use the fisher fluid why take a chance for a couple of dollars

13. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm no pro., but here's my 2 cents:

Take very seriously the warning about Fisher's fluid flash point--under no circumstances do you want that in your engine compartment, as the flash point is too low and you could have a real safety issue (I may not be a pro. snowplower, but I AM a firefighter).

Also, the old Fisher manual for belt drive hydraulics says to use Dexron II ATF. That has been replaced in the auto industry by Dexron III/Mercron now, but it's backwards compatible and it's what I use in my belt drive system. I live in Maine and have plowed in very cold temps. with no issues.