1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow production

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by landscape4u, Jan 6, 2010.

1. landscape4u

landscape4u Junior Member

I am new to the snow removal business and and am trying to figure out how to bid a per push job. The average snow fall here is 1-4" per storm. I have an 8' 6" straight blade on my '02 dodge diesle and a wlaker mower with a 48" plow. The contracts that I am getting in place are commercial parking lots that will need to be pushed before 7 am. The biggest question I have is how much ground can a truck cover per hour?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

With that truck and plow, vague estimate, maybe an hour an acre. Keep in mind it will vary if there are lots of tight spaces, back dragging, islands to work around etc.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Usually about an acre per hour, but as JDiepstra says, it all depends on how many things are in your way. I have one lot that is right about a half acre lot that takes 1 hour to plow, becuase noone ever thinks of the snow plow guy when they design the lot on paper. They just want it to look good in the summer with the pretty bushes, and flowers.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Being new it will take you longer then someone that has experience too.

5. landscape4u

thank you guys very much for the info. does a v plow make a large difference in efficiency vs. a straight plow

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

In some cases, yes absolutely. In others, not so much. Put a set of wings on your plow and you will narrow the gap between the two.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A V plow will increase your effiency by at least 30%
    Once you go V you will never go to a straight blade again.(even with wings)

8. landscape4u

cool, i think i will go with the wings on my existing plow and get a v plow on the next truck. thank you very much for the help

9. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

What places are gathering up contracts in the beginning of january?

10. landscape4u

My business is primarily lawn care and landscape. January is when we renue our lawn care contracts and I only do commercial lawn care. therefore, within my new contracts i am getting snow removal for 2010-2011.

11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Check this out

We have a CD that will calculate exactly what you are looking for based on equipment size, plow size, level of difficulty, etc.

The CD is called Quick Estimator for snow & ice management. It also calculates material application rates, hand labor and much more. Feel free to visit our web site or give us a call at 800-845-0499 for a complete explanation.

BTW - If you are going to attend the INLA meeting late January in Boise, I am speaking on this exact topic Friday, January 22. Hope to see you.