1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow problems

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by locosol, Feb 6, 2010.

1. locosol

locosol Junior Member
    from 21601

Hello Everyone--

Posted this in the SnowMan forum, but also wanted to post here to hopefully get more answers-

Not exactly new to plowing and the problems associated with it, but I've only ever driven other people or companies' trucks. Never had my own setup. So, I don't know much about maintenance or repair.

Wanted something for my driveway and maybe to help out some neighbors and such. My brother-in-law has a SuperPlow and RAVES about it. I didn't have that kind of $$$$, so I got a used SnowMan for under $1,000. Knew it wasn't going to be perfect, but thought it would at least function for a few weeks. But.....I can't get it to function at all. Hooked everything up according to the manual and nothing happens. Tried jumping the solenoid- nothing! (no clicking from solenoid either I should add). Used jumper cables and connected red to the pump motor and black cable to the plow frame. Still nothing. Logic would tell me this is a case of a bad pump motor and/or a bad solenoid. Am I off-base, or on the right track?? Any help/advice from people "in the know" would be great....

2. leon

leon Senior Member

plow etc.

A test light will help as well as a voltmeter set on dc low voltage.

If the soleniod is not even clicking you have no power or its shorted out to ground and stuck, I am surprised the battery on this vehicle is without problems now- any sparks on the free jumper cables when you tried to energise it?

Is there a fuseable link or shunt resistor in the jumper cables or the battery leads on the vehicle?

Is the solenoid fully exposed with a cap that can be removed to look at the magnet/ coils etc.

My other thought is to bring it inside if possible and warm it up if you could borrow salamander possibly?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  3. locosol

locosol Junior Member
    from 21601

Yes, the cables spark and there is plenty of juice.

No fusible links.

Solenoid is exposed. I don't know what you mean about taking the cap off. Like I said in the post, I don't know much about repair and maintenance on plows. I can do car stereos, alarms, general household repair, etc.

It has been inside in my garage with a heater on since last night. Temp in the garage is about 50-55.

I'm thinking about running it to a place I found that does plow installations and repair. It's probably good to have someone who knows what they are doing figure this out.

4. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Make sure that ALL the grounds are good. You may have to remove the connections, clean and reattach. If you don't have a meter or test light then just take two pieces of wire and go directly from the battery. Positive to one solenoid terminal and the other to the negative terminal. (NOT BIG CABLES BUT THE SMALLER WIRES) If you hear a click then you probably have a bad ground but if nothing then you may have a defective solenoid.Same goes with the pump. Attach a Jumper cable directly from the battery (+) to the HOT wire to the pump (This is the cable that comes from the solenoid) and take the other Jumper cable and connect directly at the battery(-) and the other end to the pump motor metal (chassis ground) If the pump motor fails to turn on then you probably have a bad motor. Hope this helps. Ed

5. locosol

locosol Junior Member
    from 21601

Ed--

All connections are good. Took each one off, cleaned and re-attached. Installed NEW solenoid under the hood. Connected the plow- Nothing!

So, took jumper cables, hooked the plow directly to the car (positive from battery to hot wire on pump, negative from battery to black wire ground). All I got was a pretty sparks show, and the lights on the truck dimmed ever so slightly. Other than that, nothing happened. Since I can't get the motor to turn or make any noise, I am assuming the pump motor is the culprit?

6. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Yep sounds like you have a shorted armature. You can take the pump motor to a starter rebuilder in your area and have them rework it. Guaranteed to be less then buying a new motor.