1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Nov 10, 2002.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I just switched over my mount and harness for my western 6.5 to my other jeep and I am sure that I have it all hooked up right. All the lights and the plow controller is on (only when the plow is hooked up) and it still doesn't seem to work. I have checked the ground and I am starting to think maybe the controller is mess up because the little red light on the controller worked before even if the plow wasn't hooked up. I hope that this makes sence.

Marty. thanks if you can help:eek:

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

are you sure your joystick has power? sounds like something could be backfeeding when you put the connectors together.

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

martyman,check your selinoid(spelling) or motor relay,same thing,this has happened to my fisher twice,thay cost like $10-$15 and for what ever reason they do go bad.Make sure that motor relay is grounded correctly.Your lights will work even if the selenoid is bad,it just runs your electric pump.Hope this helps!

4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

thanks guys

I had no clue what else to check since I have never had a problem with this plow in the 3 years that I have owned it. I will check the joystick and the soloniod and the motor relay ground.

thanks and have a great snowplowing season. ( I still havn't got enough customers for this season)

Marty

5. martyman

martyman Senior Member

changed the solonoid

Still not working..Is there anyway to test the controller?

Marty

6. paul soccodato

do you have the installers manual? go back and check all the wiring to see if you hooked it up properly.

7. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Nope

I was given an owners manual but not an installers manual. I took everthing off and drew a diagram the way it was on my other jeep and hooked it up the same way. I think that it must have something to do with the controller..but I am just guessing at this point. The controller light is works and I checked the motor and it seems fine and I have a new solonoid.

Marty thanks for your replies. I have my jeep booked for an appointment Nov26th if I can't figure it out by then..

8. paul soccodato

what year is this jeep? what type of plow is it?

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I had problems with keeping the lights on and the electrical working during a storm last year late at night with the western on my Jeep. Landed up all i needed was to give a little squirt of Die electrical grease on the connector plugs and my problems were solved.

Jay

10. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:confused: i quesss im a little confused, the plow does'nt work when hooked up or the lights dont switch over. well if the plow does'nt work check the fuse that is in line with the controller. if you have a friend with a western you can try their controller to see if you have a change.

11. I didn't want to start a new thread or anything so I'll just ask here. What are the signs that the solenoid craped out? Will a bad one cause nothing to work? Thanks.

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Does the plow work when it's not on the truck but pluged in?

How do your relays get energized? From what source?

13. LI landscaping

LI landscaping Junior Member
    from NY

Make sure ground wires are solid

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Guys......Also remember if you have a Fisher Fishstick
    or Western Cab Command hand held controller.

There IS a SFE-6 glass tube fuse INSIDE the controller
    and NOT in line.

Just in case your plow won't work check that.......But a
    dark controller would clue you in !.............geo

15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I got an idea go to you local western or plow dealer