1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow problems

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by docsgmc, Dec 2, 2007.

1. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

i just got this truck with the plow......everything was great and worked new........now we had a small amount of snow and the plow moved side ti side and up an down very slow.....i heated the pump and valves and it moved very well........what could be rong with it.....this is my first myers.....i had a 8 foot western on my old truck:help:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Probably water in the system. Drain everything including the angling rams and hoses and you should be ok.
  3. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

thanks i will get new flued tomorow and drain the system......is there an anti freez i can use in the system???
  4. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I never seen any recommended anti freeze for hydraulic systems. Make sure the filters are clean on the pump also. If the system has any leaks, water will get in where the fluid comes out.
  5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yea, sounds like a fuild problem.

Your going to want to drain the pump.
    Also check the filters, if there not to bad, just use brake cleaner, and clean them.
    Then, Pick up the plow, and take off the hose fittings, and by hand, rock the blade side to side, this will pump out the fuild that is in the rams.

You will want to use Myers Fuild, or S.A.M makes of off brand, it will be bule fuild,and hows a anti freez in it.

You will need about 3 Qts for the whole unit, around here they run $3.00ish a Qt.

Hope this helps.
  6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

froze up

if it is a continuing problem .there is a product called nox ice 'not sure were you can get it but only use 1 cap full it will help disperse any moisture . it is made buy penray .
  7. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

thanks for all the info....now time to get to work on my plow....i just found a myers dealer on line close to me......i will check them out....thanks again
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Drain the entire system then flush it with hydra-flush and refill with Meyer fluid. I don't reccommend the S.A.M. fluid, cheaper but I've found it to be inferior to the real deal.
    Your local Meyer dealer could do it or provide the parts and fluids. you can down load the manual from the Meyer link at the top of the page.
  9. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

thanx again...:salute:
  10. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Air , And Water ............ You Needa ..drain & Flush Special
  11. tree bizz

tree bizz Junior Member

where are you getting oil that cheap?The cheapest I've found it is more than double that.
  12. Sealer

Sealer Member
    from Ne, Pa.

Cheapest I found meyer fluid was $9.00 a qt.

I rebuilt my E-60 last week. You'd be surprised with what the old fluid can look like. When I got to the pump area (had to change the base), the fluid was like pudding!

I remember seeing that truck on e-bay. If I recall, it was a pretty clean truck.......
  13. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

geer err errr slow pump

ya try putting some xtr ground wires.pump to frame,,, pump to battery,,, motor to body,,,,motor to frame.slow pump do a line pressure test 925 psi to 1200 psi. low oil pressure,try using atf fluidin older pumps only.ok.