1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by upplowin, Dec 29, 2013.

1. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Got a western pro plow, ultra mount 8' straight blade. I think I have a stuck valve or coils working intermittently. When I would push the up button, the plow would sometimes go left. Now it don't want to go up sometimes. Fluid is good, not milky, and not low got good power to everything. I'm going to do tests on the coils today, and change fluid just because and also check & clean valve cartridges too. I'm leaning towards the coils or valves because it goes fine right & left and when its working like it should. it goes up fine to. I don't think its the pump, because it works fine left & right, and only does this sometimes. It might go half a day with no problems and then start acting up. Any thoughts???

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would try to find another control to try.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That or your computer thing on the plow is crapping out on you.

4. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Kimber, Snowguy, I have power to motor and all power everywhere checks out as far as volts go. Its something in the valve bank I think I just haven't pin pointed it yet. Its like there is ice sticking the valves or just dirty or something...but got volts (12) every where , but have to check coils to before I drain and see if I can recreate the problem while I'm testing them just to eliminate the coils, then I guess I'm going to inspect the valve cartridges. Thanks for your suggestions guys!

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You've cked for pwr and gnd at the coils while your operating the plow?
    Have you done the coil magnetized test on a bench or a screwdriver?

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Really unlikely he has a plow module. D&D just recently started using fleet flex/multi plex systems on straight blades.

Unless you check power at the coils every time it did not work it can still be the control.

This

7. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Haven't checked pwr at coils yet...waiting on a friend to come and help. Coils should magnetize when energized too right? Then when I get the coils and cartridges off I can test for pwr or energize and inspect cartridges too right? Check for wear and all that, correct?

8. dieselss

Do you have a joystick or handheld?
    Yes, yes, yes

9. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Its a handheld cab command

10. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

How did u go about chainging the fluid last time? I would drop the res & flush the whole system completely. And refill it with red atf instead of the blue fluid.

11. dieselss

No. No atf. Nick explained why no atf in newer western plows very good in another thread

12. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

No atf, been there, jells/thicker when cold, I use the western blue fluid and I'm going to change it today to & will look & clean everything good. My multimeter isn't working so I'm tracking one down as we speak. I'll let you all know what I find...thanks!

13. dieselss

Test light only!

14. Snow Commandor

from 07666

I'm still betting that its a fluid related problem and not electical or even mechanical. Just do the fluid flush then worry about checking the coils later if the problem still exists. that did the trick for me when mine was acting up intermittently.

15. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

OK, so far I've checked pwr to the coils, & I got pwr to all coils, in respect to the action of plow (raise/lower/left/right). I will check a little further tomorrow when its not 7° outside or in the not heated garage lol...but plow worked great again while I was testing it, and I couldn't get it to repeat what it was doing yet. I will keep test light with me in truck & test when it does it again. I'll put my torpedo heater on it tomorrow too & change fluid & check filter out as well, then get to inspecting the cartridge valves. Thanks to all & I'll let you know how it goes ..

16. dieselss

Is this a 3 plug ultramount?

17. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Yes, a 4 port iso module, and 3 plug system. Iso module has the green label. I can get numbers off it tomorrow, and post them on here.

18. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

OK here's what I did...I changed fluid and couldn't get the reservoir off without breaking the screws off, so I could see the filter, and I sprayed some carb cleaner in there and let drip & dry. Then took all the coils off, then cartridges out and cleaned up real good. It did look a little gummy and so I took my time with the cleaning of them. I energized them, and did the probe test too. They all preform good as far as opening and closing goes now but like I said they were gummed up, and after cleaning good seemed to work more freely. I put back together and worked the plow left/right/up/down etc, and seems fine for now, but I'm going to try and find some snow to move...I'll let you all know how it goes this evening.....

19. Snow Commandor

from 07666

Ok, sounds good! Seams like it should be good to go for now. I went through the same thing a few weeks ago when my one year old fluid was freezing up on me intermittently. Did the flush late @ night inside my friends heated garage but didn't bother to drop the res or remove the coils. I did however make sure to blead the angle pistons completely and sprayed carb cleaner inside. Now we just have to cross our fingers that we get some snow to push!

20. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Yeah I plowed a little just a dusting here right now so couldn't do much but 2-4" coming through the night so I will be able to run it longer and see how it does....