1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by leoman, Nov 9, 2003.

1. leoman

leoman Junior Member
    from Canada

Hi guys, I have a 1975 GMC 3/4 ton H/D 2 wheel drive truck and have been plowing snow since 1976 with this truck and have plowed many a mile. I have never had a moments trouble with it and believe me we used to have lots of snow here.
    This year it started to move very slowly to the right, almost like it was out of oil, but I checked and it was full. I pulled the three soloniods off and cleaned them and put back on.
    Now I find that when I lift the blade it will actually make a fast move to the left. I then stop and do it again and it will lift up ok then.
    The blade will move to the right as usual about two times, and then will slow down to almost nothing. Almost like it was binding against something which it is not.
    I suspect that I have one or two problem solonoids but would be interested in knowning if anyone else has had this problem and how did you fix it, before I start buying new soloniods.
    Thanks for your help.

2. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

What type of plow is it? That will help in the diagnosis- If it's cable operated check the adjustments- I had an electric over hydraulic that had similar problems- I cleaned the resevoir out, went through all of the connections and checked the cables- the last thing I did was to readjust the cable controls on the unit itself and Viola! That was my problem all along! Something happened over the summer and managed to pull the cables out of adjustment - had to replace a couple of stripped screws from when I tried to adjust them, but after I did it adjusted great and gave me no problems through the rest of the season.

Sorry I rambled a bit- but I hope this helps- any questions give a yell, or PM me!

Thanks

Bill

3. leoman

leoman Junior Member
    from Canada

Sorry forgot to mention it is a Meyers full electric/hydraulic plow. This has been the greatest plow for me and has done a great job so hate to chuck it away if I can fix it. This was the first plow ever sold up here in Northern Canada, back in those days snow plows for small trucks were almost unheard of but I love this plow. It is a Model ST-90 at least that is what is on the blade as all the writing is worn off the actual lift cylinder and I believe it is a 1975 model if that helps.
    Thanks.
    Leo