1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by t-dawg1982, Oct 19, 2009.

1. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

hey guys I just mounted the plow yesterday but i find the pushplates are really low,when the plow is raised they are almost on the ground,I was wondering if I could raise the pushbeam and cut some of the bottom off the pushplates,or if there is an easier fix? thankx,oh by the way it is a 92gmc with 8ft speedcast

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Is this a new install? Got a Pic? It may be time for some suspension work if this is a pre existing plow setup.

3. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

well this is the first time I am mounting the plow,it came off a for trk so I had to make up some brackets I just find it is too low,the truck is not for the road just for doing my yard so I was going to move the pushbeam up and cut some of the pushplates off?or if there is a better way

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pics would be very helpful. Take one with plow down, then one with the plow up.

5. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

I wish I could put I do not have a camera,with the plow down there is about i inch clearance,but when up I am lucky if a piece of paper will go under the pushplates

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Something is way wrong. Could be the push plates just are not going to work. Generally speaking, Fords sit much higher than Chevy's. So the push plates might just be taller. Probably best to find a set of plates to fit the Chevy. Do you have a cell phone with a camera?

7. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

no cell either,but I think if I move the pushbem up alittle and rebolt it,then cut some of the pushplates at the bottom it should be ok,what do u think?

8. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

I was also wondering how hard is it to crank up torsion bars,how is it done?

9. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

cranking the tbars is not difficult at all jack the front of the truck up and follow the bars to the trans crossmember. u will see the torsion keys in the slot of the crossmember. there is an adjustment bolt that u crank to adjust the bars. seeing as its an older truck soaking them with penetrating oil for a few days would probably be a good idea to try and prevent u breaking the bolt.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/images/tb-crossmember.jpg heres a pic with the adjusters circles

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Did they use T bars back in 92?

11. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

thanks do u think that will help some,and what do u think of my other request to raise the pushbeam and cut off some of the pushplates?

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

I really don't think hitting the T bars (if that year even had them) would make much of a diffrence. I think you need to start over using the correct mounts.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes sir. 88 for pickups, 92 for Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon

14. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

but all I did was use 1/4 plate on top of pusplates and bolted to the frame,not like I lowered it too much with 1/4 inch,I was just wondering is it ok to move the pushbeam up some and drill new holes to mount it,I am only using it for my yard

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can move the push beam up no problem. The A-frame needs to be parallel to the ground when connected to the truck, and the blade down.

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Wow. Good to know. I still don't think torsion adjustment will make a noticeable difference here though.

17. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

what happend if it is not parallel to the ground,how much do u think you will get out of the torsion bars,also what happend if the bolt breaks,thanks guys you are helping me alot

18. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

if your looking for plow plates 88-98 plates with fit.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the A-frame is not parallel, it won't scrape very well when angled. Probably not a big deal for you.

Before you attempt to adjust the T-bars on a 16 year old truck, soak them in Fluid Film and let it sit for at least a couple of days. If the bolt breaks you are in pretty good trouble. It will take some special tools for one thing to get it apart, if you can. Actually, in impact gun is the best way to adjust them if it's been a while. Go easy. The pounding will help bust the corrosion loose. And use the correct size socket, 18MM SIX point.

20. t-dawg1982

t-dawg1982 Member
    from canada

would it be better to try and turn with a ratchet first,also if the bolt does break do I have to take it apart?