1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Prep???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jaclawn, Feb 23, 2002.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

Have been looking at new trucks for the spring, and it will also be a plow truck. Looking at 2001-2002 Chevy 2500HD.

The truck manager says that with the 8100 engine, and the allison trans, plow prep is not needed. Intrestingly enough, he has a 2002 truck just like that on the lot, all specs fit our needs.

Looking on a window sticker on a 2001 truck on another lot with the 8100 engine, and allison trans, it has plow prep listed as an option.

Plow prep consists of a larger alternater, and a trans cooler and somw witing provisions.

My question is, Is plow prep required with the 2002 8100/allison combo, or is my dealer simply trying to sell me what he has on the lot?
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

He is kind of right,it isnt needed,but it is a good idea.I think the trans cooler is the same with or without plow prep,that applied to the 6000v8,the wiring is a lead,and switch for a roof mounted light,a nice feature but not needed.The Alternator is the thing id like to have its a 130 amp.in place of the 100,or 105 that is standard.If everything else is right,and its screaming deal,Id buy it,just have your dealer put in writing what he told you,and something to the effect that he will honor the full warranty on the truck,with a snowplow,this will cover you in the event you have a problem,not likely though.Down the road,you can buy the larger alternator,it mightcost you 100-200 to upgrade,or you could try to get your dealer to trade it for you now,to seal the deal,some will do it,at a cost.,or throw it in,good luck.
  3. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

When we were looking for a new 1 ton dump this fall, we ran into the same problem. The color I wanted could not be found anywhere and all they could find were trucks without plow prep packages and I was going to break down and get one without it but , I had a good salesman and he insisted that we find a truck with the plow package, he said that if you put a plow on new truck without the snow prep package that it totally voids the warrenty and that would really suck since you are putting upwards of $40k for a new truck to not have it on warrenty. Also one thing that I learned a long time ago is to have the dealer handle the plow installation that way when you buy the truck and pick it up it comes from the dealer with the plow and then the manufactorer cant say that the truck should not have a plow on it. We buy are truck completely set up through the dealer, Plow, sander, everything. Our salesman told us that on some trucks that have other packages like the towing and off road that all the plow package is, is just words on the paper on the window and that it doesnt include anything extra. But better safe than sorry. Just my two cents
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I told him to have the dealer put it in writing,that they will honor the warranty with the plow,this way it covers him.In this case there really isnt much difference with or without the plow prep pkg,so i would buy it if everything else was right,I would try to locate one with the plow prep first,but if i couldnt ,and needed the truck,i would buy it as is,since the differences are small in this case.You do not need to have the dealer install the plow to have the truck warranty,it is convienent,but you pay for that,there is a new Dmax 2500Hd at my Chevy dealer with a 8ft Fisher L blade on it,4250 for it,they just take it to the same fisher dealer that you will,and add 800-1000 bucks to the price .i would shop around for the best deal locally,and then compare it to online,I fould my local dealers are much cheaper,and id rather spend it right here if i can.
  5. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

That doesn't sound like a very good deal... I got my truck for $200 under invoice price and paid $3800 for the Fisher V-plow installed. I called oround to see if i could get a better price than the Chevy dealer gave me and most were more than that. One guy would give me the same price but he was 200 miles away. I could have got one for $3400 but I would have had to install it myself. So for me it worked out much better to get the plow from the chevy dealer.