1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow prep vs. extra heavy front springs

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PTSolutions, Jan 13, 2008.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

on the dodge builder website they wont let you select the extra heavy front springs if youve chosen the snowplow prep package. how come? we'd prolly want to put a blizzard 8611lp and would like all the weight carrying capacity as possible.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow prep

does the plow prep package already include the heavy springs ?might have to ask them .

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yes, The plow prep comes with haver springs #38 & #39.
    You can install even heaver springs if you wish.
    It is easy to do it your self with hand tools.

5. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

Plow prep includes the heavy springs, I have it on my 08.

I have the 8.5' HD Fisher on mine, and it handles the weight like a dream.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  6. PTSolutions

now does the plow prep include the heavy service springs or the super heavy, because there are two options above stock springs. and does the dodge plow prep include different harnesses and heavier fan clutch assemblies like the gm's or is it just the springs, skid plate and 160 amp alt. b/c thats all that is listed under details of the heavy duty plow prep package. if its just those three things id rather not choose the package but the super heavy springs, 220amp alt (gonna have a salter in the back) and the option for the skid plate.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  7. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I know it comes with the heavier springs, but I'm not sure which ones. It also comes with the bigger alt and skid plate.

To be honest with you it might be cheaper to get Timbrens and the bigger alt seperate. There is a lot of markup on factory installed options.

It would probably be worth the research. I'm pretty sure the Timbrens go for about $180, and the alternator will probably run you about $200.

I'll check my paper work in a little bit and I'll let you know what the plow prep cost me.

8. PTSolutions

theres a dealer here that has timbrens for pretty cheap picked up a set for 140 when the next lowest price was 180 all the way to 230.

id prolly go with the super heavy springs, get the 220 amp alt option and then throw on a set of timbrens, blizzard 8611 here i come wesport

9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

What truck are you building..? You do know how heavy the 8611 is dont ya. your gonna kill a one ton truck with that blade...

10. schuitb

schuitb Member

8611 on one ton

I think he was talking about the 8611low profile (lp) it is only 100# heavier than an 810.
    A lot of guys are running the 8611lp on there 1 tons.. some have it on there 3/4 trucks.. but yes a real 8611 will kill these same trucks..

11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

MODEL
    8611lp
    <hr>
    plow weight 1083 LB plus mount weight...
    <hr>
    recommended for
    Medium-duty trucks, 14,000 to 27,000 GVWR

Thats still pretty heavy for a 1 ton. The gvw on most 1 tons is only around 13,000

12. rainman500_0

rainman500_0 Junior Member

Newer Dodge Diesels

I was told by Meyer,s snow plow rep that they would not put a plow on the newer Dodge diesel because the front end is at the limit with the diesel. If i wanted Dodge it would have to be gas. Dodge went to a smaller front axle, its 9 1/4 where the older Dana 60 front was a 9 3/4 inch. I checked with Ford ,GMC and Dodge , Ford was the only one that would allow a plow on a diesel. I have always been a Dodge nut now i am wondering what next. :::cry::mad::confused::confused:

13. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

rainman, dodge does offer the snow plow prep on their diesels. My 07 ctd has the snow plow prep and i have a quad cab short bed. I don't know where all these rumors come from but they are wrong.:realmad:

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Soooo, I should take my LP's off all 3 of my 350's?

Most of the larger V's weigh in very close to this amount as well, but nobody says much about them.

15. rainman500_0

If Dodge does that why is the Meyers rep telling me that, has he been misled somewhere. I want a new truck that i can plow with, haul firewood and have a decent ride for trips, i want decent mileage and power. I have a 1984 W350 with plow, a 1998 12 valve quad 5 speed with 4-1/2 inch lift,35 inch tires, custom flat bed, its more of a rockcrawler and a 07 6.7 4 door long bed. Wife says i need one truck to do it all so we can cut downon State Farm bills, she makes sense,but i am very cornfused on what to get. Thanks commander , i still need help on which way to go. Thanks again:dizzy:

16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

rainman if you lived a little closer i would be interested in that w-350 you got, but colorado is a far piece from ct:cry: glad you won't have to go buy a ford:salute:

17. rainman500_0

What to buy

I don,t i could drive the F word some one might see me:redbounce

18. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I was just at the Ford dealer the other day and 99-04 diesels would not warranty a plow on them. So I asked about the 05-08 and he said that Ford will not warranty a plow on any diesels leaf springs or coil springs. So I don't understand why there are so many roomer's form all these dealers everyone tells something different of what a plow prep package.

19. Midwest BuildIt Inc

No Way !!!!! im just sayin its got to be hell on the front end of the truck.....

20. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

FWIW - These spring numbers do not apply to the 2003 and newer trucks.