1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Plow prep" question.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTPlow, Apr 13, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

I was looking at some new 2005 Dodge Ram 1500's today. They don't carry the "plow prep" package of course because it's only a 1/2 ton. I later talked to the dealer and he said that if it doesnt come made with a plow prep package, you can not put a prep on, and it is not made to be put on. He did say I could plow with the truck but if a plow is to be put on, it would have to be without a plow prep.(and also could void the warranty to an extent)
    What exactly is a "plow package" and is it a big deal if a plow is put on without one? Also, in general, are the newer 1500's ok to plow with? I checked the truck and I believe it said the GAVW is 3900 for the front end and 3900 for the back end.
    Hope this makes sense. I'm having a pretty bad allergy day and am a little out of it. :dizzy:
    Thanks in advance.
    Craig

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would think "Plow Prep" would mean at least :

Towing package - Trans cooling - springs
    Most amp charging they have available for that model
    Heavy duty shocks
    Upgrade tires
    Hook ups for warning lights

But they make some stuff so light duty anymore I would not doubt they don't want a plow on a 1/2 ton anymore, no matter who makes it,
    just for the" CYA " factor.
    I would just go 3/4 ton and be done with it,I have had very few problems with mine and other people I plow with have the same luck no matter what brand.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would agree with MickiRig1, basically. "Plow prep" can mean anything, depending on the manufacturer. There is no standard. Also, 1/2 tons are being made so light, that if the manufacturer recommends against plowing with it, I'd pass it by. Especially if it's going to void any part of the warranty. Why are you buying a new truck in the first place, if not to get the warranty?

In considering the GVAW ratings, you have to take into figure the existing weight including cab configuration, engine, cargo (tools etc) and people. Then add the weight of the plow.

I second getting yourself a 3/4 ton to begin with. It may cost a little more, but it could save you some major headaches down the road.

4. sam973

sam973 Member

If you needed to put a plow on a 1500 it could be done. I have seen a couple around with Fisher RD 7.5's. You would want to make sure you got the tow package which gives you the upgraded engine cooling as well as a bigger alternator( I believe 145amp). The one thing you have to modify is the location of the air bag senors on the front of the 1500's. If I remember corectly the senors were put in the bumper, or somewhere close by that needs to be relocated to prevent the air bag from going off when you hit something plowing. This will void anytype of airbag warranty and Dodge will no longer be liable if your air bag doesn't work as it should. Other than the air bag the plow can only void other parts of the warenty that Dodge can prove was directly effected by the plow. This might include front suspension parts if they fail early. I'm not running this type of set up, but I do know people who do. It can work if it has to, but I would go with a 2500 if at all possible.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

CtPlow Im pretty sure Dodge Reg cab long bed 1500 has the plow prep option, I could be wrong. I know the Quad Cab 1500 has no option, but I thought reg cab you could get it. If your considering commercial plowing I would definately be shying away from a halfer, there just not built strong enough to handle commercial stuff. Even residential stuff takes its toll, so just doing "driveways" is not easy on a truck either.

Todd

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Incidently- the 1500's don't get any better gas milage than the 2500's, they only ride more like a car than the 2500's.
    Above is correct, if it has no plow package you really can't add it easily or cost effectivly.

7. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

Having a landscaping business and plowing during the winter you would want a 2500 series. I currently have a 03 dodge 2500 QC with the diesel and tow package. Don't have the plow prep package but still plow anyway. It didn't void the warranty on the truck. Been talking with some of the people from Fisher and they were saying they recommend the dodge frame due to the rigidity factor. If you are looking for great deals on a Dodge truck respond back. I got my truck brand spanking new for under 30k.

8. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 04 quad cab. Just for your info. it says right in the manual putting a plow on any 1500 model will void warranty. I was going to put one on my truck until I saw that.

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if your going to plow step up to a 3/4 ton its more than just plow package