1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Prep Package

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by markq, Sep 28, 2005.

1. markq

markq Member

Ok......this is the 3rd time I've tried to post this....we'll see if it works this time!

My truck DOES NOT have the plow prep package, but does have the larger air cleaner, and external oil, and tranny coolers. From what I can tell, it is only missing the extra wire for light, and the larger (145 vs 105) alternator. Is this correct?

Is there a difference in the airbag sensors for the trucks with the prep package? I want to make sure that my airbags don't deploy if I hit a curb and my plow trips (obviously not planning on doing this, but you never know what will happen ) I spoke to GMC customer support, and 2 dealers, and got 2 different answers, and an "I don't know"

As for the alternator, I know that the 145 alt will fit on the original 105 bracket, but do I need a larger electrical bus, wiring, or anything like that to handle the extra current? I don't want to fry the CPU or any other electrical components

I did a couple of searches, but didn't come up with anything that specifically addresses this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What the plow prep includeds also is determined by what motor you have. The 145 amp alt would be nice and wont require anything wierd to my knowledge. What is your FAWR? hopefully its the heavier 4800#

No difference in air bag sensors. the wont go off if you wax a curb
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I will be at the Pontaic Truck planr tonight. I will go to heavy repair and find out and will post later tonight.

4. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

You should also have the lighter front springs, 4500 vs 4800 lbs.
    You will not have any problems with the CPU if you upgrade the alternator. However the main lead from the alternator to the battery is also smaller with the 105A alt. While you don't absolutely have to upgrade the wire I personally would. To make it easier on myself I'd put a second battery in and run the plow off of that, and just run the newer, heavy gauge wire to that.
    The alternator only puts out the amperage required to recharge the battery, so if you don't drain the battery you don't need many amps.
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I talked to a electrial repairman tonight while I was at the plant. Here is the deal, The bigger alt will bolt and hookup the using the same wire's and brackets. He says to keep a eye on the output of the new alt, should not put out more than 15 amps. Also he says it would be a good idea to add a second battery.

Good Luck Mike