1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow prep package

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by William B., Jan 6, 2005.

1. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have a question for everyone and am interested in seeing everyones response. My question is if you worked for one of the big 3 auto makers, what options would you make standard on a truck with the plow prep option. I think a good place to mount the controls and a place for extra switches for your lights and other pieces of equipment. I think that a posi/limited slip option should be standard also. At least for GM. My truck does have the plow prep but no G80 option. I guess I can always add one.
    I am interested in seeing what everyone else has to add.

2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

• not just places for switches, but actual switches, with dedicated fuses and pre-run wires to the typical plow equipment locations. Perhaps pre-run wiring for hide-away strobes.
    • Defroster strips on the windshield where the wipers sit so the wipers don't freeze.
    • Dual alternators, Dual batteries.
    • Limited slip rear axle, as mentioned.
    • bigger and more tie-downs in the bed.
    • Solid front axle
    Dream list...
    • Backup camera with defrost and infrared (perhaps housed in tail light)
    • In cab adjustable Air helper springs
    • mini center console fridge
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

WHat GripTruck said, and....

A Full Time 4WD transfercase.

Some type of universal wiring that allows ALL manufacturers of plows to tap into headlights with ONE plug.

Bumper plug for accessorys (rear backup lights, spreader lights, vibrators) all switched/relayed from cab as said above.

Electric clutch fan actuator on engine cooling fan.

LARGER TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER with its own 12V fan.

Some sort of beefier front and rear suspension (most include this, but most guys that use HEAVY plows still have to add or modify their front suspensions)
  4. Knothead

Knothead Junior Member

what tls said

Only take the universal plug idea and hard mount it.
  5. danno

danno Senior Member

Choice of 10 ply tires.

Installed Timbrens.
  6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I have a couple of more (some are based off of issues I have with my GMC):

- good cup holders that actually hold the cup in place (would be nice to include an option to keep then cool/warm GM at one time had a pro console that could do this, but it was only available on extended cab models)

- Stop making minor changes to the interior which make moving to a new truck difficult (i.e. I god my new Sierra went from a '00 to an '04 and things were different enough to make choosing mounting locations difficult)

- Stop forcing people to chose "packages" on vehicles I would rather have my vehicle come with what I need, not what some marketing person thinks I need. (like being able to get power windows and the manual transfer case)

- grommets in the fire wall and floor behind seats to pass wires through

- manual locking hubs

- factory installed spray on bed-liner

- full and part time transfer case, as well as 2wd hi/lo range

- ability to disable drive and passenger side air bags

- allow me to disable automatic head lights permanently

- actually work with plow manufactures on mounting systems, then maybe mounts do not have to be so low on some makes

- Stop using plastic parts on trucks

- Factory installed fire extinguisher
  7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

You have some very good ideas there, especially about not forcing people into packages where you have to choose one thing and sacrifice another, even though they are unrelated.

However, I must disagee with you on your airbag comment, and I think if you search you will see that this has been discussed many times before, it is not necessary or prudent to disable the airbags in a plow truck. The plow tripping will not deploy the airbags, and any impact you have that IS hard enough to set off the airbags, will be bad enough that the airbags will help you.
    If you do not believe in airbags, then that is a different argument, but if you think airbags are a valuable safety feature, then you should not disable them while plowing.
    and, as always.. WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS EVERYONE!