1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow prep package?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gmack616, Nov 22, 2004.

1. gmack616

gmack616 Member

what exactly is it?

i have an 02 silverado z71. how can i tell if i have it or not.

2. :rolleyes: Hey,
    I thought you were going to the beach and giving up on the whole plowing idea? :drinkup:

3. gmack616

gmack616 Member

nah, still on the fence. id enjoy the beach thing more. but i think i can turn a profit plowing regardless what the haters say. i can atleast be subcontracted at $80 an hour. so if i cant get a single customer on my own and it snows just 3 times ill make my money back.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

G..............Look in your glove box for the RPO list.

Look for the code VYU. That is GMs plow prep.

5. gmack616

gmack616 Member

ahh ok, ill check it out. but what exactly is it? upgraded shocks or a heavier duty front axle or something?

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Here are some of the things included in snow plow prep packages, though they vary by manufacturer and the model of the truck, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc.

-FGAWR upgrade to 4300 lb spring rating.(1/2 ton) 5200lb (3/4 & 1 ton)
    -8200lb GVWR (1/2 ton)
    -Rear axle capacity upgrade to 5300lbs (1/2 ton)
    -4:10 gear ratio w/limited slip differential.
    -Super engine cooling (thicker core)
    -Auxilliary trans oil cooler w/warning light in instrument cluster
    -Battery upgrade to 72 amp/hr and 650 cold cranking amps
    -Front and rear stablilizer bars
    -Roof clearance lights
    -17" wheels

These are the major things I could come up with, I'm sure someone will add anything I left out, but it should give you a good idea.

7. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

The plow prep on my Ford SD is simply another leaf spring in the front end. It does a whole lot for my truck... MY 800 pound western only drops my front end a little less than a half inch when fully raised.... i was very impressed.

8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The importance of a snow prep package is debatable and it varies with truck model (far more important on a 1/2 ton than a 3/4 or 1 ton) You primairly need heavier springs or Tbars, HD cooling and a aux tranny cooler are pretty much "gotta have's" Dual batteries are nice too and not include in most prep package and actually a better assest than a bigger alt. I use standard alts and install a second battery and you gain more return on your dollar than with a upgrade alt and a single battery in my opinion anyway because I have never found standard alt lacking myself on newer trucks.

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Nice pub but still not a "gotta have" or deal killer that you need everything listed. If you have the suspension for it you have the biggest issue and dual batteries are not in snow prep package and will help you far more that bigger alt (the least of which to limp back to shop if alt fails with 2 battiers vs one) Most GM trucks now come with aux tranny cooler by that list and some with powersteering cooler too. Yes a snow package is nice but if you have a good sturdy 3/4 or 1 ton you are over 90% there anyway.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  11. intlco

intlco Senior Member

On the D-max, the plow prep is nothin'
    It's really just another 3 letter code that the dealer charges you to have in your glove.
    They don't even offer this for the D-max. Some places will try to tell you that it has stronger Torsion bars, or shocks, but if you got a HD Trk, you get these standard. The parts counter only has one set listed in their catalog.

12. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Three storms, assuming 8hr ea., $80/hr that's a total of $1920. How do you make your money back? Are you including the price of your truck, plow, and all the other expenses?

13. gmack616

gmack616 Member

nope, just the plow. my truck is an 02 and already paid for. im talking about the 3k, im paying for my blizzard 760lt

and my math was more like 12hrs per storm. the guy im getting setup with cant guarantee anything b/c we may not get a drop of snow (obviously)

but if we get average snowfall i'd be out about 12hours per day of snowfall. just 3 days of snow= 3k

so obviously my numbers are on the low side b/c we get many more than 3 days of snow around here.

or you can say 6 days @ 6 hours a pop if you please. either way, i should be ok.

on top of that, i will be handing out flyers in my local area, placing ad's in local papers , etc in hopes to get a few customers of my own.

additionally, i am about to sign a contract with my own home owners association which would be to keep their 3 miles of streets clear all winter for $2,500.

needless to say i'm not worried.

14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I like your attitude. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Columbus had the same problem with his idea. :rolleyes: Go for it.

15. gmack616

gmack616 Member

thanks Bolts.. i like hearing words of encouragement. there are tons of businesses out there that invest serious money and sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. im investing 3,000 measly dollars. at my old job that was just 3 weeks of pay. if i lose it, its not the end of the world, and i still have the plow i can resell. so really its an investment of less than $1,000! its more my time than anything else, but with my recent lay off... that isnt such a pricey commodity :)

i've got my laser printer copying hundreds of flyers, signs, and door hangars as we speak. gonna get my plow this weekend then sit and wait for some snow!

16. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Like I said. I like your attitude. You seem to be level headed and have a good grasp on this. I have a feeling you are going to do alright. Many an unemployed person was motivated to start their own job and went on to be very successful. Best of luck.