1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow prep package

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Red Owl, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Red Owl

Red Owl Junior Member

Hello all,

I've been plowing my driveway and one other very long driveway for about 5 years now, using a Fisher Homesteader on my V6 2005 Tacoma. While I only do these two driveways, a heavy New England winter really beats up the plow and the truck. And IMO, the homesteader is a pain to put on. So thinking next year of getting a 3 or 4 year old HD pick up and getting a larger Fisher Minute Mount plow.

My question is: if I get a used HD truck that doesn't have the plow prep package, how would I get it? Manufacturer dealership? Or would my local plow dealer do the work? At least according to GMC, the plow prep package includes:

• 10-amp power for back-up and roof emergency lights
    • heavy-duty 160-amp alternator (or dual 125-amp units for diesel models)
    • high-flow front bumper
    • forward wiring harness
    • trailer brake wiring harness
    • skid plate
    • high capacity air cleaner with auxiliary transmission oil cooler

I guess my point is that I don't have to have to buy a brand new truck just to get the plow package.

Thanks for any information!

2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

IMO for the limited work your doing I wouldn't worry about finding a truck that has plow prep. If I was buying a used truck I'd prefer that it hadn't been used as a plow truck previously anyway.

You really only need plow prep if you're concerned about warranty/dealer headaches or if you plan to get the biggest plow available and plow full time. Most HD trucks will already have improved cooling. Cooling is important because the plow blocks airflow, trans coolers are important too. Aftermarket coolers and fan kits can be added to any truck. One big thing to look for is the front axle rating, sure it can be swapped out later, but it's a bigger job.

The above are my opinions and I'm sure some will agree with me while others will not.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

At best I would look into the fan clutch, possibly a bigger alt, biggest battery you can fit in.the compartment (maybe 2nd batt)
    And upgrading the front suspension IF it's not the heavy rated suspension already.
    If your only doing 2 drives and nothing else, you may not even need these upgrades.
  4. Red Owl

Red Owl Junior Member

Thanks k1768 and dieselss. This is good news. I'll keep in mind cooling, fan clutch, alt and battery at least during my search. I noticed that Ford is now offering plow prep packages for the new F150s. I'm curious to know how those hold up over the next few years. But I'm ready to graduate to an HD.
  5. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

For two driveways you can get a new 1500 GM, Tundra, Nissan or pre-2012 Dodge and hang a Meyer V-LD on them or any number of straight blades up to 8'.

Instead of selling the Tundra just upgrade to a newer plow.
    The Tundra can be upgraded and carry more plow but for only two driveways, why?
    You do not need a "plow package" for the bit your doing. For what your doing you do not need a 3/4 ton. If your replacing the Tundra with a 3/4 or new then by all means go for big ginormouse plow for the two drives.

Best thing to do imho is to ID the dealers and what they sell and install and then take the time to walk through the plow selectors each plow manufacturer has and do the modeling truck/plow combo's...

Know your options.

Food for thought...
  6. Red Owl

Red Owl Junior Member

Hi ggb6259,

I have a Tacoma, not a Tundra. The Taco is smaller and less powerful than the Tundra. Why a pre-2012 Dodge?

7. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Didn't catch the Taco... I have Tundra on the brain....
    Front end changed. I believe but don't quote me but they went away from solid front axles. Hold less weight up front. Run a new model 13-15 through the Meyer plow selector and you will see recommendations. Then run an older model year. Try the other manufacturers you will get a clear picture of what 1/2 tons can carry.

I have an 04 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4.7 and Meyer shows the V-LD. Was going to go to a Tundra next year but may just stay with my Ram as I only put 4K miles a year on it, it's paid off, mechically solid, only has 91K on it. Upgrade the plow and when the bed finishes rusting out put a flatbed on it. Cab/Front is rust free. The Dogg VMD at 700lbs is a bit heavy the Dogg HD is 680 and can go on my Ram, so I'm on the line. I have a dealer who would put the Dogg VMD on but only if I add a lift kit first. Meyer V-LD is 580. My Dogg MD with backdrag is around 475 +/-. As is when I lift the MD I only drop the front end 1/2". I have 6-10 driveways that I tale care of.. Similar to what your doing.

I trust the Doggs and can't find enough on the Meyer yet to pull the trigger on one. The other kicker is the Dogg dealer will take my MD on trade and I dont need to buy a truck side mount. Uses same one. Cost save... 50/50 decision. With no snow and being through December I have no emotional push to upgrade yet. Thinkin I just watch for the plows to drop in price and then jump. Sit on the cash til then..
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015