1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow prep package?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TPS Alberta, Nov 12, 2010.

1. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Hey guys I'm looking to put an 8 foot plow on my 08 F-350 crew cab.... the FGAWR is rated only at 5600lbs and apparently I need 6000lbs for a plow.

What can I do to bring it up to specs? Just get heavier coils or a plow prep package?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Bigger coils, brakes, bearings, tie rods, ball joints, frame... and then it wont be legal as the door sticker is the deciding answer as to how much weight your front axle can have.

put the plow on and get some timbrins.

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Diesel or gas?

4. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

It dosnt have a snow plow package already on it?

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Gas or diesel is an important question:nod: if it is a diesel you have to change the fan clutch for sure.

Not all plows require a 6K front axle.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

But the one's we all want do. :jester:

7. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Put in on. You should not have any problems. That is a beast of a truck.

8. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

It is a diesel, yes. It's the 6.4L. Apparently if I went with the gasser (or a reg cab) I wouldnt be having this issue! But since Ive got the heavier engine, plus the weight of a crewcab they say its too much!

It's only 400 pounds though, would that really be that big of an issue?

9. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

If I was to get heavier coil springs and a fan clutch think that would do it?

Also, apparently Ford's factory snow plow prep package only comes with heavier duty spring and alternator so I dont see why there would be such a difference?

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Yup, that would do it. With that 6k front end, you can put a plow on there and she won't move. When you do get your plow, plow with it for a few nights and watch how your alternator is doing. Diesels generally do not make the same voltage at lower RPMs as gas so you MIGHT have a problem. Hard to say though without real results.