1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Prep...is it essential?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Feb 3, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm starting to seriously look at trucks now, I will likely be buying in the late spring. I'm looking at getting a 2001-2004 Chevy/GMC 2500HD, I've found quite a few of them online, but very few have plow prep on them. I wouldn't be buying a plow for it until I get out of college (plow with the quad until them), but I want to be able to mount a plow on the truck after college. My question is, how many of your trucks have plow prep on them, what do they include, and is it really nessicary to have a plow prep on the truck to plow commercially with it?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say its well worth it. It comes with a bigger Alternator, heavier springs, and a bigger battery I think. There are a few more items also. Go to Ford, Chevy and Doges websites and it will tell you what extra it entails. In my opinion though its well worth it, sometimes a little tough to find in used trucks but there out there.

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

if it has a towing package, you'll be fine!

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Make sure you also have the trailer/tow packag.

5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I know Dodge puts the heaviest springs in the front end that are available for that truck if you get the snowplow prep. pkg. Also, in the pkg. besides the other items listed above is a tranny cooler.
    If you buy a truck w/ a diesel motor; a snow plow prep. pkg. may not be specifically listed b/c when you get a diesel motor option most all of the additional items are already in it.
    This is what I was told by my dealership and he hasn't shirked any warranty issues b/c of it not being listed on either of my last 2 diesle trucks which I purchased from him.

6. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Yes it is well worth it. On the fords i have owned 3 with plow prep below is the difference, This will be based on front gvw it is on the tag inside of door.
    With out with prep
    4600 5200 00 F-250
    4600 5200 03 F-350 srw
    5200 6000 06 F-350 srw
    The front gvw is the most important when installing a plow heavier gvw means heavier spring , axles,etc. There is no difference in alternator . This package is less than $100.00 buy it. My new truck barely even moves when i raise my 8.2 boss v-plow.
    Mike

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

How about the flip side? A used truck without plow prep being a better buy as they have not been plowed. Not plowed meaning not beat on.

Take the money and upgrade the springs and alternator. Then again I am thinking replacing springs on a Dodge which is easy. Not sure what is involved in a Chev.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Generally we like to find a used truck that hasn't plowed, makes us feel a little better knowing it hasn't been beaten to hell plowing.

As for plow prep, if you buy new, well worth it, and the trailer.

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree. I really like knowing how the truck has been treated while plowing. The best way to know for sure is to buy one without the plow. I think it is much safer in the long run. I looked at plow trucks for a year and could not find one that I liked. They all have the snot beaten out of them. You can also choose what plow you want and so on.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

most plow places want your front gvw to be like 4300 or above in the chevy/gmc. If you get one with no plow prep, just bigger alternator, bigger battery, a set of timbrens and some ballast and you should be slick

11. mole

mole Senior Member

as were on this topic what is the best alternator to get(aftermarket) I'm running front and rear plow, I have a ford 2002 f250. just wondering