1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow prep? How to tell?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Mar 13, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

A friend of mine is looking at a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD extended cab short bed, he's not sure if it has plow prep on it or not. Is there an easy way to tell (code like on my truck etc?)?

2. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

VYU - RPO code in glove box
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What's a VYU- RPO code?
  4. look in glove box for that 3 digit code. That represents the plow pkg.
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Which one? VYU or RPO? Last I spoke to him he said it had the auxilary emergency light button, and a trans temp guage in addition to running lights. Does this mean it has plow prep?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

RPO= Regular production Option. This is the term GM uses to describe what option codes a particular vehicle is equipped with. The codes are a three digit number/letter combination. I'm sure you've heard of certain ones before, for example, Z28,Z24,Z71, Z82 These are all RPO codes for certain options. If you look at the RPO decal in the glove box it'll have all the RPO codes that the truck was ordered with. The code your looking for is VYU. That is the RPO code for the plow prep option. Also, since you already mentioned that the truck has the auxiliary light switch on the dash then that's a good indication that it's got the plow prep option.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  7. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

He said he looked at the label real quickly, and didn't see that combination, but has the auxilary light button, trans temp guage etc.- maybe he's overlooking the code?
  9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

If his glove box decal doesn't have the VYU code, he doesn't have the plow prep package.

Tranny temp gauge is standard on new body style Chevy/GMC 3/4 ton and up trucks I think. My 2500 has it and definitely no plow package.
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check page 169.:)
  12. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Werd and the code is VYU
  13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yup, we both checked our glove box stickers- his is pretty much the same as mine, and we both have the VYU code- Plow Prep! Thanks guys!
  14. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

For future reference regarding snow plow prep, an easy look is the "high flow" front grill. It's two slots on the lower section of the grill (dealer pointed this out) real simple!
  15. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Say does anybody know what the amps of the alternator is on the plow prep trucks? Mine can't keep up with all the junk I got on mine and the computer starts to lose its mind..even with two batteries.
  16. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

145 A , I did have one replaced under warranty and they put on a 120 A, I asked about it and thats what the know it all computer listed for it even with plow prep.