1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow power problem help rt3

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by anythingcanhapp, Nov 20, 2015.

1. anythingcanhapp

anythingcanhapp Junior Member

So getting ready to get the plow out to test everything to make sure its all in working order and having some problems

Well having some troubles
    Plow is a 7'' sport duty with rt3 wiring and such.

Plow worked great when I put it away.

I had my test light out. On the main plug coming off of the truck that connects to the plow I have good power to one pin (top corner) and about 6 pins have slight power (dim on the test light). Also took the test light and tested the solenoid. Works no problem there. Then I went to test the controller in the truck. The controller does Not light up when you turn it on but i tested the connector and the top row all is showing power. (tired a different handheld still nothing) also when I flip the switch to turn the headlights on the plow it does nothing the headlights to the truck remain on.

No idea where to go from here
    Any help/suggestions is appreciated

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Check the fuses - Clean Check all grounds.
    Clean Grease the 13 pin connector, a dirty one of these will give you all sorts of problems.
    Most likely one of these.

4. anythingcanhapp

I sprayed contact cleaner on all the pins. That didnt seems to do anything. All fuses are good.

Its just weird I cant even get mu hand held controller to turn on. I can check the plug before I plug it in and it has power. I find it had to believe I have two bad handhelds but possible I guess

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Power alone doesn't function without ground. Check for power and ground at the in cab plug. Your wiring diagram will give the pin locations for each. Be sure to use the ground in the plug for testing.

6. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

^^^ What he said. I have seen on others plow wiring where ground is the culprit. Usually its because a crimp connecter has failed. Which is the reason i solder, and heatshrink EVERYTHING.

7. anythingcanhapp

I will check grounds.

8. anythingcanhapp

Problem fixed. My main Brown wire that grounds everything was just laying under my battery. I guess I didnt even think that when I was using the test light I was making my own ground. I did put a new/bigger battery in so it must of came unhooked from where I had it grounded to. I just spliced into the wire and ran it directly to the battery.Thanks guys. Should be ready for snow now!!!

9. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Awesome! Those grounds are very easy to overlook because you just put your test probe on the nearest piece of groundable metal. I have done it myself before.

10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Had the same problem yesterday with the duramax and boss plow. Truck was into a repair shop over the summer and they disconnected the ground to work on the truck and didn't reconnect the plow ground. Took me about 5 minutes to find it.

11. anythingcanhapp

My truck is a ranger with a 5.0 swapped in and I just put the biggest battery I could possible in it about 2 months ago so space is very limited under the hood. Unfortunately most of the plow wires are hidden. As soon as I removed the battery I saw the brown wire just laying there. Oh well glad it was a simple fix