1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Power connection plugs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TLS, Dec 2, 2002.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Having some connection problems with my Boss plow. Seems that my ground connection through the power plug (lower black and red plug in picture) is at fault. Its clean, but I think that where the wire inside the plug transforms into the female socket, there is a intermittant fault.

I have looked everywhere for these type plugs (other than my Boss dealer) catalogs (Grainger, MSC, etc.) and through Buyers, but no one carries them. I also need one for my Buyers salt spreader. If I have to I'll call Boss, but I cant believe that these are so hard to find?

Anyone know where I can find this product?

Thanks[​IMG]

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Those are available from CPW for not a whole bunch of money. I can't find their catalog right now but they have a website. Commercial Parts Warehouse is the full name, I think

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Same plug is used on the Meyer plow's . Have had the problem for years in Erie. Toss the old plugs. Cut them off and reterminate with connectors for a winch. Call for part ##'s or for the parts. Jerre

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

AW direst has those winch type connectors.Part #SM-9A Replacement Plug Assembly for SM-1
    www.awdirect.com

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

These?

[​IMG]

Wouldn't they NOT be weather tight?

I have a hard enough time with the stock ones that ARE weathertight. This connection is mounted under the bumper right in the snow and slop!

Any other suggestions?

Cant find the CPW company. THough I remember once having one of their catalogs. Seemed that they were just a dealer for Buyers products (Which my Father is a distributor for) and to the best of my knowledge does not carry them.

6. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

7. plowking35

from SE CT

I use those connectors on my electric v box spreader, and have had 0 corrosion in 5 yrs of service.
    Dino

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

How about these?

Would this connect to my wires?

Dino, Which ones do you use? Top pic, middle pic, or this pic?

[​IMG]

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey ,,,,,, Dont forget to use dielectric grease on the connctors to prevent corrosion..........Cheap insurance....

10. plowking35

from SE CT

I use the last pic, but I beleive they will connect to the center pic. So you could buy 2 of the center pic item to run from the solenoid to the grill, and then another from the plow pump to the grill. They lock in solid, and it takes a little twisting and muscle to get them apart. They are also hard plastic, so they wont take a hard hit very well. I have mine on my electric v box, and it takes alot of direct salt, and I have never had a problem. I also have the lanyard and off season dummy plug, that helps as well.
    Dino

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I went to a local plow shop on Wednesday. Asked him if he had anything for me. He didn't have the EXACT same thing, but instead had single wires with single ends that push into my original paired connector. This will get me through this season (maybe a few more?) But I will start looking for some alternatives for this.

He also had a replacement one for my salt spreader, as that one was giving me headaches too! So for 2 Jacksons I was outa there and back ready for yesterdays season starter!

P.S. 7 1/4 hours plowing. Garage to garage. Netted me $965. Not my highest, but pretty darn nice for less than a days work! :drinkup:

12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

If you have a battery shop around you, they should have what you need.

Rick

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Those connectors (pics 2&3) are what are used on the batteries of our fork lifts, The handle a lot of current, but not sure about exposusre to the elements. If you have any trouble finding them, you might try contacting YALE thats who makes out lifts. just thought id offer that info!!!:D

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Here's what I ended up with...

Although they DON'T look it, they are two seperate wires and two (+ and - ) seperate small barrel ends that fit into my old bumper mounted plug. I'm going to get some split loom and loom them together.

Here's the pic...

plowplug.jpg

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Here's the spreader

Still wondering why my truck just LOVES to rust!! :rolleyes:

spreader1.jpg

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Notice the gauge wire is smaller for the spreader.

This spreader was Sandblasted and painted this summer. Should last another 5-6 years till it needs it again!

spreader2.jpg

17. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Di-electric is very important! Try Whitaker plugs. They use them on wreckers to boost batteries.