1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow position in transport

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROPJCKEY, Dec 27, 2003.

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

I have seen many guys with straight blades driving around with the blade angled in on the passenger side. Presumably for cooling purposes, however, I ALWAYS angle mine in on the drivers side for a few reasons:
    1- It is less alarming to oncoming traffic.
    2- By chance someone strays into my lane, hopefully they will glance off the blade instead of making a skewer out their car.
    3- How many times have "these guys" just missed vehicles while turning right onto another street?
    Just seems like common sense doesn't it? By the way, if there is no snow, take the thing off already!

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I angle right because I find it creates a blind spot with the blade up on the right. I see it better on my side. I take it slow so I think I'm OK.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I always ride with it angle rt. I did read one time it safer in case you catch an ice pile, pole, mail box etc.
    And why do these guys leave the plow on all the time? You have to watch where you go, where you set it down, find parking spots it will fit in, it's not worth the 5 min you save leaving it on.I take off the plow and unlock the hubs and the truck drives and rides much better.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

All the way up and straight so it doesn't block the plow lights. Never any cooling problems.:)
  5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I always drive with it straight. It seems to be lower on the back side when it is up, and it just feels weird to have it to one side to me, very unsymetrical :)

I can't imagine a plow hampering cooling at all, most likely it is already cold out for one, and the plow is so far ahead of the grill there is no way it is going to suffocate the radiator.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

straight with me also, no temp problems, probably cause it's a FORD. But seriously, I agree with the other guy, your typically driving short distances with the plow on, most of my customers are close by. If I drive any distance, that baby is in the back yard sitting on two by fours :D
  7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I suppose mine is usually angled whatever way it was when I last used it. I never really thought much about it but then I usually only drive three or four hundred yards from home. If I have to go very far I take my newer truck with no plow or remove the plow from the old truck. I have always wondered why some guys drive around all winter with there plow on even if it hasn't snowed in weeks. My plow is 30 years old yet I can remove it in 30 seconds and reinstall it in 60 seconds (if I get lined up on the first try).
  8. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Always strait, and off the truck when not actually plowing. I never could understand why some people drive around with an extra 800# - 1000# on the front of their truck all season.
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Depends on how i feel that day
  10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Straight and low, at higher speeds the truck seems to run cooler in this position. I take it off if there is no snow coming for 3 or more days.
  11. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

I have seen cooliong issues on most plow trucks. Even the newer ones have issues sometimes. The plow restricts the airflow at highway speeds. Maybe GripTruk doesn't have far to drive, around town usually not too bad.
  12. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I keep mine straight. I have tried the other ways but it just doesn't feel right for some reason. I do remove mine when I am not using it but if it looks like snow is coming I leave it on.
  13. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

For safety you are supposed to angle the plow to the right to deflect any curb side obstruction - per SIMA.

Believe it or not, the plow really changes air flow and can cause the radiator to starve of air.

Like anything though...whatever works for you is best. My truck has overheated at 20 degrees F ambient on the way between properties.
  14. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

I keep it straight when driving on the freeway and angled on the side and back roads. If you angle it when driving on the freeway (at least mine) if I put it full left, the wind resistance pushes me to the right and vice versa. If SIMA says to the right then that's their opinon but I don't feel it is safer in anyway. If you hit something it will most likely push you to the left to oncoming traffic. How safe is that. Not trying to start an argument just my .02 worth. Also I think I read somewhere else that keeping it straight will help circulate the air better towards the radiator rather than angled. And for the side roads, I keep it angled full left so if someone does come across center the car hopefully will not tear me up to bad and also not pull them into me. Just hope it more or less deflects them somewhat. Either way if it is their fault, I'm getting a new plow (and truck) depending on the damage.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I agree 10000000% with PROPJCKEY. :salute:

I have always kept my straight blade plows angled, and I learned that from my Father who's been plowing for over 50 years!

To those that keep them straight :nono:

****This is one of my BIGGEST Pet peeves, it irkes me to no end when I see guys transporting in the bucking position (Straight) :angry: ****

Especially if its an 8 footer or bigger!

First of all, where I live the roads are narrow. On secondary roads your lucky if you have a 7 foot wide lane from the double yellow to the ditch! Then add a snow storm. :help: There are usually 3 tire paths for two way travel. The center tire path is shared for both directions, and your lucky if you have 10 foot of road for both you and the oncoming Newby Hot Shot with the 9 footer in the straight position.

On the highway, put it in any position you want. On other roads, have some courtesy and angle it left or right.....PLEASE!
  16. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

17. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I have to agree with SOS. I usually keep mine straight. I don't have many 'backroads' to travel but if it's tight I'll angle 'er in. I just find that the plow hits bumps in the road on the low side if angled.
  18. hoagie

hoagie Member

Straight blade will cause a pocket of stagnant air right in front of the radiator... air will be deflected over the hood.... angling will allow the air to flow around the blade better.

Also an angled blade on the back roads is just common courtesy to other plowers... and pretty much common sense (safer).
  19. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

Yes! Praying for snow. I have not got to go out since Christmas night! At least all the snow piles I had have had a chance to melt so I can start some new ones:D
  20. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

You know what they say about guys who travel with their plow to the right or left....:eek:

Seriously, I keep mine straight as to not block the lights. Never had a over heating problem...and I have a Chevy that all ready has flames on it. Never over heated my '78 Ford either amazingly enough!

I found traveling with it angled the low side drags sometimes on bumps......i don't like that. Keep em straight!

Hope it snows so i have to actually worry about how i want arrange the plow in transit!!!