1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow position for transit

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by yorgo_iowa, Jan 30, 2011.

1. yorgo_iowa

yorgo_iowa Junior Member
    from Iowa

hey all

what is the best position to use when im traveling with the plow, as far a wind resistance? I notice some leave them straight and some angle the blades. Is there any noticeable advantage in fuel economy to angle the blade?

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Different people have thier own opinions on which way is best. I have seen people driving with it straight, and angled both left and right. Some feel that by angling it, it allows more air into the engine to keep it from overheating. As far as angling left or right for this doesn't make a difference. The only drawback to having it angled is if you hit a bump the corner edge of the plow can hit and dig into the road. Also I see a lot of guys with the plow angled left because they cant see the right side of the blade if it's to the right, however by doing this I have seen where snow will fall off thier blade and be thrown into oncoming traffic, or the corner of thier plow will ride in the windrow on the center of the road and throw snow into the other lane. But I quess it's OK if your and idiot who doesn't care. I always carry my plow straight, that way it doesn't hit the road, I know where each side is, and if my engine startes to get hot I raise,or lower the blade a little, or just slow down, and let the engine fan do it's job of pulling air in.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

whatever way you want to
    search button is your friend...this has been discussed many many times

4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

I usually angle it to the left to keep it close to the truck for opposing traffic. But first thing in the AM or if the truck is cold I will keep it straight and up all the way to get some more heat built up in the motor.

If you're worried about MPG with the plow buy a Prius and a shovel that will fit in the hatch :jester::laughing:

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

When I used to run a straight plow,I would usually tilt to the left[DS] so in case someone should wander over to my side,the edge of the plow wouldn't tear them up like a tin can.

6. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

If someone wanders into you lane your both screwed either way lol

7. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

In fact I had a deer wander into my lane a couple days ago...again, we were both screwed, her a little more than me!

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe,maybe not,if it's a rice burner,I'd be fine except maybe a little scratching of the plow's paint,but they'd be literally plowed over back to their lane.If it's something substantial,then you might have a point------- ---- ----.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I personally would angle it right on a 2 lane road. If you happen to catch the windrow from the road plows it won't be zinging you around. Been there...done that.

10. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Straight <<<< From the old man Thumbs Up

11. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I usually carry mine low and straight, but as soon as I get into tighter streets I angle it right so if I nudge the bank when a car comes by it doesnt dig in and throw me