1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow pops when you angle it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rockcrusher4x4, Jan 8, 2003.

1. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 Member

I have a meyer e60 that has a 7.5 blade. The pump is only 2 seasons old the blade was bought in 85 not sure if original rams or not. The problem that I am having is when I angle the blade to the right (pass side) it seems to pop when you let off the switch, I have looked while someone else operates the plow and can't find anything wrong? It seems to work just fine, except when you angle to the right, I noticed that the rams when you let off the switch the bounce back out! Any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be appriciated.
    Thanks
    Joe

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Meyer Plow

Joe check the center pivot bolt on the a-frame to be sure that the plow isn't angling off center. Also check the stops that are welded onto the sector which keep the plow from angling to farn left and right, they maybe worn causing the cylinders to jam up when you angle right. :rolleyes: John

3. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 Member

Thanks garagekeeper,

I checked that and found that the L bracket on the sector where the a frame attaches was broke, took it to the dealer to see what it would cost to have it fixed, first he told me that wasn't the problem, that it was normal when the angle to the right because you are shutting off the valve?! Then I asked him about repairing the L bracket and replacing the king pin holders on the blade, $200.00 total, Does this sound like to much?? Don't have the equipment to do it myself or I would, could that be taken to a welding shop just as easy, To me the dealer sound a little high on his prices!
    Thanks
    Joe

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Take it to a local welder. Also have him inspect all the other welds while he is at it.

~Chuck

5. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Hey Joe,
    Let me know how far you have to go to get it welded, if you are going outside of your city, I know someone that might be able to do it for you. I don't think he would charge that much, but I would have to check on his schedual. He's only in the Lansing area once or twice a week, but would probably be willing to come out to my house if you can't find somone local.

Let me know. Oh, and it looks like we are going to get sleet before the snow hits tonight. If it does hit.

6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Meyer Plow

Joe without seeing your blade it would be hard to say if that was really too much for the repair. With the prep work and welding along with parts and materials I would say you would spent at least $85 in my shop to properly weld the bracket back on the sector, along with a new pivot bolt and nut. But they may see that more of the plow has to come apart, along with additional parts that are needed for them to complete the repair. The main thing is you need to get it repaired before you have more damage like the front of the a-frame cracking off or you enlarge the pivot hole in the sector. :rolleyes: John

7. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Joe, can you Post a Pic of the area and what is needed? might give a better idea of what happend and what you need welded..

Later.

8. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 Member

Sorry can't post pics, wish I could, gonna have to invest in a digital camara. garagekeeper the parts came up to 12.00 not including the bolt or anything I would do that myself, the only thing I was wanting him to do was cut the old pin holders off the blade and weld the new on along with welding the L bracket back on. He never even walked out to take a look at it, never does. I am going to look for a local welder or shop there are a few in town, see what they want to do it. Thanks offroad if I can't find anyone for a reasonable price I will pm you.
    Joe

9. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 Member