1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow painting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ChevYooper, Oct 3, 2007.

1. I searched for this and found some stuff, but one thing not answered was do you guys brush or spray your plows to paint.

I know some places on the back of the plow would be much easier sprayed, but would brushing on an oil based rustolium be stronger???

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I havn't painted a plow but have done several trailers, I would spray it, with a gun not rattle cans.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I mostly spray now but have had really good result using a roller with rust paint. You can buy those really small rollers for the back of the blade and just do the corners first with a brush. The roller gives a better finish then a brush and it's so much quicker. Have fun.
  4. ok, i have a compressor but no sprayer....maybe ill purchase one.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not an expert but make sure you buy a high volume low pressure gun. They produce alot less overspray then the old guns. I bought a gravity feed one from Home Depot last year and it works great.
  6. Which method (spray or roll) would be more durable.

I know they are all enamels, but is one "stronger" than the other??

I dont know if i really have a "great" place to spray, but if i need to i can make a half a$$ paint booth in the garage

So do i use sunrise red or safety red on my wester (you can get safety red in a gallon)??

Thanks guys
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Rolling is just as good IMO. Spraying is nice but if you don't have a good place to do it, it's a PITA. I've painted so much farm equipment with rollers. My friends use to laugh at me but now they do it to. You have to spray the higher quality enamels but the rust paints are sweet to roll. You will be happy with the results, just spend the extra time on cleanup and it will turn out great.
  8. redplowman

redplowman Member

I have painted a few plows in my time. In my opinion and for time sake, I would use a paint brush and a roller. These methods will build up paint quick and leave a nice finish. It dosn't matter what paint you use, as long as it is a good quality paint, it all will scratch and wear off. The bottom line is, it is your choice. I just put a new skin on my mold board and repainted the blade last winter. I used Rust Oleum Safety Red. The paint still looks fine after one year. Something else you might want to try is caulking all of the supporting frame between the sheet metal and ribs. I used a latex caulk and it has held up fine. This seals off where you can't paint and prevents rust out.... Just an Idea?
  9. Well thanks guys.

I think i'm going to use safety red, and brush/roll it on.

I have wire brushed and sanded half of the plow and put a primer on until i get the paint.

Thanks for the tips
  10. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

What kinda of primer and wire brush and sanpaper the cheeper easier way go is that what i'm understanding.
    Brian Porter
    Reliable Snow Removal.
  11. I used rustoleum rusted metal primer (the brown stuff) - sprayed

I used a coarse wire brush (cone style) on my drill

I used my DeWalt Random orbit sander with a 60 then 120 then 320 grit to get a nice smooth finish....then used xylene (acetone) to clean any grease off then primed

Then, i sanded the primer with a 320 (lightly) and put another coat of primer on.

Then i put a coat of Rustoleum Safety red down (roller and brush)

I'll be putting more red coats on soon

Total cost:

QT safety red rustoleum (oil based)=$8
    Can Primer =$5
    Wire brush=$3
    Sand paper=$5ish

Its pretty easy to do and didn't cost much (only hard part is sanding/brushing the nooks and cranny's)
  12. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

in the past we have used a gray primer and then painted with dollar general red for our western plows. western rusts out badly, even after 3 years, of course depends on storage. our meyers fade badly after 2 years.

our hiniker does not look near as bad as the western. western is 4 years old, hinker is 6 and the hinker looks more like 4 years, not 6. the western looks 6.....

i love the western plow, only problem i have found so far is the rusting