1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Painting

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dotcom, Apr 20, 2007.

1. dotcom

dotcom Junior Member
    from MN

I've seen the meyer yellow paint for sale but see that it doesn't last very long.
    Is it the best out there? Is POR-15 any better. Anyone gets their socks knocked off by a certain plow paint or rust neutralizing product? Will cheap old rust-o-leum work due to the wear and tear? I'm only plowing driveways (no salty areas)

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I have heard countless times that Por-15 is the best if you have a rusty sufrace to paint on. If there isn't any rust, don't use it because there is nothing for it to bond itself to. I think the main part of the paint not lasting is due to poor prep work prior to the process.

3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

I use POR15 on everything, but haven't tried it on a blade yet (that's my next project). I use it all the time on new bare steel and sandblasted steel with no bonding problems, but I use the "Metal Ready" zinc phosphate bath prior to applying. POR15 is UV sensitive, so I plan on having one of my blades sandblasted and coating it with two coats of POR15 and two coats of their Hard Nose Yellow and see what happens.

4. dotcom

dotcom Junior Member
    from MN

How about powercoating?

I was wondering if powder coating would work - i have a friend who owes me a favor.
    Anyone powdercoat a blade?

5. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Powder coating is what comes from the factory. If it were any good, these blades wouldn't start rusting the first season.